Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have a noise that I think may be a cracked flexplate. If I remove the TC bolts can I push the TC back far enough to see the flexplate bolts?

I have a stripped TC bolt that I found when ensuring all the TC bolts were tight. If I do remove them, should I leave the stripped bolt out, or put it back in as tight as I can?

I will not be doing anything but daily driving before pulling the trans to fix the TC, but would hate to order a flexplate if I do not need it.

Also had a p1740 pop (TCC/OD solenoid) transmission shop reset it for me and it has not reset yet. Should I still replace the solenoid? There are so many reasons for that code to set that I am not convinced the solenoid is bad.

What about the governor solenoid and pressure sensor? Only rarely do I have a shuttle shift, but should I swap them them out anyway?

Only have 800 dollars to spend on all of this, so probably just going to buy a revmax 3.5 TC and not fool around with fixing that bolt. Just trying to maximize my money with all of the other things I can do while the trans is out.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Cheapest route IMO.

- try to re tap the TC threads very carefully and get a new bolt. Loosen the other bolts and check for ovaled holes and inspect for cracks while going around the plate. Torque to spec with blue loctite. ( might be replacing TC soon so red would potentially be a PITA in near future)Drop the pan. Look at fluid and inspect for foreign material or excessive magnetic sludge. Adjust bands and go from there...

This will give you the best idea of whats going on without being too invasive.

Probably wouldn't hurt to clean up your solenoid with ATF+4 while you're in the pan, especially if you find a bunch of black material stuck to the magnet.

Jake

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.