Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well just thought I'd look into this to get some opinions here, seeing as how the shop that did my work seems to be far from reputable.

Long story short I burned through a southbend DD3600 in 20,000Km's which I'm not even sure how thats possible. I took it to them to warranty when I noticed it was damn near impossible to get into gear, and would occasionally pop out of gear during downshifts.

As it would turn out the clutch was fried. This was 6 months ago and I had to pay for a new clutch to go in.

What I'm noticing now with my second DD3600 is that mid way through the pedal stroke theres a minor "hiccup" and its very noticeable. If the truck is going I don't notice it. If the truck is at idle, and I put it into neutral then release the clutch, I notice it. If I push in the pedal then release it it isnt there. Basically it seems like if the clutch is still rotating it won't hiccup through the stroke, but if the clutch is stationary and I engage it in neutral then it will do it.

My stock clutch and my first DD3600 didnt do this, which is why I'm concerned. Also, when this clutch was first installed it didn't have this issue. It progressively got to where it is now but isn't getting worse.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it dual disc.? Is it the secind disc engaging?
Yes, it is a dual but it didnt do this when it was just installed, it slowly showed up and progressed over time to where it is now.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not sure, but what made you go with that model clutch over a different one?
What do you mean? The 3600lb or the ceramic/organic?

The reason behind the clutches was the I had a 3600 originally but was a full ceramic that didn't behave nice on the road for obvious reasons. Not very streetable clutch, nor towing. The ceramic/organic just came out while I was looking to replace it so I jumped on that because it was supposed to be the best of both worlds.

I see your running a 3250, in your signature. So are you suggesting that a going from a 3600 to a 3250 will quiet it down and give better street manners?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts