Cummins Diesel Forum banner

POSILOCK / 4X4 Issue..

5K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  forgotten359 
#1 ·
ok here is the problem,

transfer case is a fresh rebuilt works an engages fine.. installed a posi lock kit to remove the junk vacume front axle... pull the posi lock it comes out.. 4x4 light comes on fine.. enage the transfer case.. NOTHING

i even readjusted the posi lock a few times it just doesnt seem to be locking the front axle into place.. idk what i could be doing wrong anyone have any advice?????

anyone have any issues like this before.. ive already gotten stuck a few times an its starting to really agervate me...

#2 ·
You should check to see if the front driveshft is spinning. Even though u think it engageing the t case it will rule it out for sure.Dont pull you posilock and put your truck on jackstands (or lift if lucky enough to use one) and see if your front drive shaft is spinning givein power to the front axle.

#4 ·
sounds like the posilock is kicking yur rear. It gotta move the sleeve and lock axle to stub..

#5 ·
ok i just took the posi lock back off.. readjusted the fork.. and it still doesnt work.. although i noticed when the truck was sitting on the ground the collar wouldnt slide over the other axle shaft.. it was just a tiny bit off (which will not be an issue once transfercase is engageed and the axle shaft spins a lil bit.... but it STILL isn't engaging the 4x4.. its really starting to piss me off beyond belief.. does anyone have any suggestions.???????

#6 ·
Pay someone to keep from getting wissed or convert back to stock.. It seems you're trying to say the TRANSFER CASE is not going into 4X4. Internal problem..

#8 ·
Try jacking up front tires, chocking back ones and placing transmission in neutral. With posi-lock off, turn one tire by and hand the other should not turn. Engage the lock and then when you turn the tire, the other should turn also (I would think in opposite direction, but it could be same). If it turns then your posi-lock is engaging and problem is with transfer case. If it doesn't then something is wrong with posi-lock.

#10 ·
how far out are you pulling the posilock. should move quite a bit. mine works better if i put it in 4wd first and while rolling engage the posilock.

#12 ·
i tired it a few diffrent ways

the transfer case enganges.. fine front drive shaft spins nice ...

enage into 4X4 High...
roll forward a tiny bit. .. pull the posilock out moves about an inch til it hits its lock... 4x4 light comes in.. but it just doesn't seem to do anything its just starting to agervate the hell outta me....

#13 ·
I don't know I'd say that the stock system is junk per se. When the vac is applied (by a toggle switch on mine! :)) It keeps pressure on the collar until the splines line up and it plunks in.

With a cable actuator, you need to keep pressure on it until the splines line up and when they line up it should slide in. Requires a little more attention since you have to tend it until the splines line up.

Having said that, the cable actuator is a VERY simple device. If you've played with the adjustment and still can't get it to work properly, I would be tempted to pull the actuator off and make sure its properly installed.

But I think the first thing I'd do to verify function is jack up the passenger side front, put it in 4x and have someone spin the tire while you try and engage the posi lock. This will allow you to easily lock it in if nothing else is wrong. Once locked in your helper will no longer be able to spin the tire as the collar ties it to the diff. If it still spins and your driveshaft is turning, the transfer case is not working. In 4x the rear axle should be tied to the front driveshaft through the 'case and it should not be able to spin by turning the tire.

If this happens, the first thing I'd look at is the shift linkage. If I remember correctly it can be adjusted wrong pretty easily. This would be easy to goof up while reinstalling your rebuilt xm/xcase.

#14 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED...

jacked up pass side.. took posi lock out.. tried to manually slide collar over.. no good.. the ends of the splines on the inner shaft were knicked a lill.. was like wtf... looked at the fork the pads were missing they were inside the axle housing all chewed up.. ordered a new fork.. and also decided to get a permaposi kit... anyone have any issues with them??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.