Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some ideas in mind...Anyone ever done this and if so what would the performance gains be?

· Diesel South
1,509 Posts
stock turbo? I wouldn't waste the time

but with an aftermarket charger it has been done by many as well as myself, It seems to help with spoolup and smoothness of power!

All that needs to be done is gasket matching, and smoothing up castings so that the flow stays constant and doesn't hit a wall! make sure you make it the same or larger on the bottom or outside so again flow doesn't hit a wall!

honestly the manifold needs the most work, it is a casted mess of walls and cavities! truck sounds a hell of alot different too!

Just remember: If it can't sh!t, it can't eat!

· Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea its a stock turbo. Pics would be sweet. I was going to match the exhaust manifold to the turbo. Would this mess up the way the truck runs?

· Diesel South
1,509 Posts
it wouldn't mess the truck at all, just not worth it with a stock charger is all! IMO

Stock:

Ported:

Stock:

ported:

finished with a polish, ran out of time to get a bunch of pics:

finished manifold:

painted with extreme 2000* paint, sorry no pics of the exhaust housing porting, It's such a lengthy process, I was ready to be finished and didn't take the time to snap pics

edit: nevermind here is couple of the exhaust housing (s300):

· Registered
1,640 Posts
what about an aftermarket exhaust manifold i have the bd pulse 3 piece i didnt even look at it i just slaped it on do you think i would gain any from it or do you think bd mathched it enough from the factory

· Diesel South
1,509 Posts
yes you could definetly do some with it! I would recommend it more than with a stocker, if you are worried about going to far and messing the manifold up, as I did my first one, you can just gasket match it!

just be careful what ever you do, I ported holes in my 3-4 runner where it gets thin! you will see more benefit from an aftermarket manifold than the stocker

· Diesel South
1,509 Posts
i might just have 2 break out the dremal
Carbide is your friend!!!!!!:party018:

Yeah im just trying to get this 66 lit as fast as possible i love the charger but i hate the lag so every little bit helps
it helps just take your time! my valve bowls and exhaust runners where ported when we did the head work! so I just gasket matched the head to exhaust then cleaned the castings and runners on the manifold, especially 3 and 4 as you can see in the pics how restictive they are, just be extra careful on the humps in there (thats where the holes were), but what you want is to get the walls or rough edges out of there and allow the exhaust to flow smoothly as possible, then the exhaust, I just basically gasket matched and cleaned about an inch or two down in there!

first gasket match the manifold (turbo side), then make a template there and transfer to housing, that way if you go a little outside the gasket you will still not have a wall there! I then painted with extreme temp (2000*) paint which is still there by the way! all this helps with low boost driving as well as spoolup too, I would say 200rpms sooner depending on conditions!
:thumbsup:

· Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats a da mn good porting job:thumbsup: I'm taking your opinion and porting the exhaust mani rather than the stock turbo

· Diesel South
1,509 Posts
good good! post pics when you get done! since you have it off, go ahead and gasket match the turbo housing to the maniold but just match it then smooth and round the inner walls right around the gasket! I also cleaned up with a soap stone after the carbide cutting! it will smooth things out a bunch!

· Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wow looks good.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.