Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

pops and blows white smoke

3382 Views 14 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  95taylor331
I have a 94 2500 5spd NV4500 with a number 6 plate,stock 3" strait pipe,S&B intake, and when i start it up in the mornings its about 40 degrees outside but if i dont let it idle for about a half hour it will pop and blow white smoke and not want to go till i get to a higher gear 4th and 5th but once it warms up it wont do it for the rest of the day. Any ideas what may cause this problem any suggestions or answers are appreciated :) Thanks Taylor
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok thanks guys I also blocked off the wastegate from what everyone said you block of the line going from the turbo to the afc so i took off the rubber hose and plugged it right there and after that my truck wouldn't get off its own a$$ it wouldn't smoke even while lugging and i was only hittin like 15psi vs before it would move and blow smoke(NOT THAT I BLOW SMOKE EVERYWHERE I GO) and i was making roughly 25-30 psi before so i unblocked it and put it back is this the right or wrong way to do the wastegate block off

· Registered
9,910 Posts
could also be low fuel pressure

· Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im thinking about resetting the timing to like 15 degrees but wat would cause low fuel pressure

· Registered
41 Posts
thats exactly what mine was doing, popping, and white/gray smoke so when i went to get the governor springs they advanced the timing and it runs great now and no more white smoke or popping.

· -+-+-+-+-+-
1,067 Posts
thats the wrong way to block the waste gate. you blocked the afc which wasnt letting the pump put fuel to the engine. To block the wastegate, you have to plug the line going to the actuator on the turbo, but I wouldnt recomend it if your hitting that high of boost with it the way it is. A stocl turbo isnt very efficient over about 25 psi.

· Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats wat i was told by this one guy but i figured I'd ask to see if any one on here had the same problem. By the way You have a nice looking truck yfz smoker :)

· Registered
41 Posts
Thats wat i was told by this one guy but i figured I'd ask to see if any one on here had the same problem. By the way You have a nice looking truck yfz smoker :)
haha thanks man, and yea i just got my timing bumped 18* and it really woke it up, it smokes better too, alot when i want and none when i don't and its pure black so i recommend it. Like earlier we were leaving walmart and some little ricer pulls next to me and revs his engine like a tough guy and i just cloud his car and make him look like a biatch :hehe:

· Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
haha thanks man, and yea i just got my timing bumped 18* and it really woke it up, it smokes better too, alot when i want and none when i don't and its pure black so i recommend it. Like earlier we were leaving walmart and some little ricer pulls next to me and revs his engine like a tough guy and i just cloud his car and make him look like a biatch :hehe:
Lol i just had the highlight of my night i just watched an STI run from the cops,rear end a car at about 60 and take off running again and it was smoking out the hood and all sorts of $hit

· Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
haha thats funny i guess he just wanted a smoker
I guess so lol i bet his car blew up and he went strait to jail. do you have myspace

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.