Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor pulling Power in my 2007 Ram 3500, 5.9L auto, 3.73 gears. I just left the Dealer and they did some work with no success, then me and a service manager went to the local truck stop to weigh the truck and trailer. 2007 MegaDually and a 38' enclosed trailer.
The grand total is: 21,720 lbs
The dealer said I am 720 lbs over GCWR which is 21,000 lbs, so they are done trying to fix my poor pulling power due to my extra 720lbs... I don't understand how the truck can be 7,204 lbs, and the towing capacity is 16,4000 lbs, but the GCWR is only 21,000 lbs. 'Cause 7,200 plus 16,400 equals 23,600???

Has anyone had this type of issue?

This is my Vehicle for my New Mobile Chassis Dyno business, and I need to be confident in my vehicle I tow with... This truck is not doing that job for me. I am starting to HATE this thing!
:banghead:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am getting passed on the interstate and in town by 2500 model trucks with 45' camper trailers and other guys with 25,000 lbs loads??? I think I got shafted!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Welcome to cummins forum.:thumbsup: So what exactly is your issue, because 16,000 lbs is a good amount of weight and would pull down many trucks on a good hill. O, and if you just bought this truck you better take a stick the service manager's head if he's gonna act like that!

PS Fill out your signature so we know exactly what kind of truck you have and any modifications too!

·
Banned
400 Posts
Heck with the trailer stuff. Dyno it. Then take the results to the service manager and continue with the stick method already suggested if he don't change his tune in a hurry.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am having shaking on take-off and the truck has poor power when pulling. Not just my Dyno trailer, but a 7k lbs flatbed trailer. I feel the same symptoms with 1/2 the weight. I don't understand it. I see these trucks pulling 3-car carhaulers loaded and they are passing me like nothing. I put the pedal on the floor at 60mph and NO down shift, nothing but a little noise/strain in the motor then it climbs RPM slowly.

The Dyno is limited and I will have to take the fenders and outer tires off... I have a warranty and shouldn't have to "dyno" my crap to get service. I am going to hook another truck to the dyno trailer(6.7L) and see what happens.

The Technician road with me with the scan tool plugged in, peaked at 48psi boost and 23k fuel rail press. which he said is max. I feel it with no load on the truck great, but you put any load over 3k and it is a dog.

Filled out sign.

·
Premium Member
15,373 Posts
I am having shaking on take-off and the truck has poor power when pulling. Not just my Dyno trailer, but a 7k lbs flatbed trailer. I feel the same symptoms with 1/2 the weight. I don't understand it. I see these trucks pulling 3-car carhaulers loaded and they are passing me like nothing. I put the pedal on the floor at 60mph and NO down shift, nothing but a little noise/strain in the motor then it climbs RPM slowly.

The Dyno is limited and I will have to take the fenders and outer tires off... I have a warranty and shouldn't have to "dyno" my crap to get service. I am going to hook another truck to the dyno trailer(6.7L) and see what happens.

The Technician road with me with the scan tool plugged in, peaked at 48psi boost and 23k fuel rail press. which he said is max. I feel it with no load on the truck great, but you put any load over 3k and it is a dog.

Filled out sign.
Ummm.....48 psi of boost? Is that a misprint? If the tech was reading that I wouldn't trust th erest of his readings.

At 60 mph and WOT you should get a downshift to drive if in OD. Lots of noise, possibly smoke and not much go until the TC locks. Typical crappy stock converter.

I though all the dualys were rated at 23k GCVW? Are the mega's really only rated what single wheels are?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Possible bad brake controller ? Maybe your trailer brakes are dragging due to a short or bad controller ? I have seen this before. If another truck can pull trailer ok and your truck is working hard I would say the brakes are dragging on the trailer due to a bad connection or short in wiring for trailer plug on the truck.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
my uncle had a 5.9 megacab and towed a 18k towhauler fully loaded and did great. and with my 2500 i pull our 14k boat with no probs either

·
Registered
280 Posts
You would be surprised how much power a little trailer brake drag can rob.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Something is not right! I have the same truck...07 5.9..with less modifications. I could pull our 36ft, 13,000lb 5th wheel very easy. I knew it was there, but it had smooth acceleration and pick up going up inclines.....I would try another dealer if its not to far out of the way.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
No way are you making 48 psi of boost.

·
Kansas Cummins Crew
761 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am still angry about this... If you do the math the trailer weighs about 14,500 lbs which is 1,800 lbs less that the 16,400 lbs tow capacity that I was told I can pull. The tech showed me the scan tool as I was driving and it did say 48psi on the man. press. Then he told me the last time I took off we peaked at 53psi for a second??? WTHeck is this. I thought you had to chip, etc. to get those types of #s. I argued this point over and over, b/c I have NOT and don't plan on using a programmer for the warranty sake.

Brakes-- I have unhooked the trailer brakes/lights and tried to feel any difference. There was NO difference in the 2. It still felt like a turrd.

I am going tomorrow to weigh the truck and see if it is 7,200 lbs or less. I want to do that to show that the trailer does not exceed the towing capacity of 16,400 lbs.

I feel like crap starting a buisness with these problems, they are very taxing on my stress level.

I might explode!!!
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was told the trucks with 3.73 gears are rated at 21,000 lbs and the trucks with 4.10 gears are 23,000 lbs GCVW. I asked the same thing about the 2500 rating and they told me the dually is more for stability, but no more load rating!!!??? I wanted to beat the crap out of everyone and maybe I would feel better for a min or 2!:whip::whip:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I would say that you were not reading the MAP sensor at anything over 40 psi because that is what the stock sensor can read. Now if that was the reading for MAP then there is the answer to your problem. If the ECM thought you were making that much boost it would be actuating the waste gate and de-fueling like a mother to try and bring that boost number down.

As far a tow capacity read the fine print, most manufacturers print the max number a short bed regular cab 2wd stripped truck can pull, then put a disclaimer about vehicle options, passengers, and gear reducing that weight. First you need to have the printed facts down before you argue with anyone. I would really pursue the boost issue too.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
The starscan shows boost + atmosheric presure deduct about 14-15 psi to get the true #.
Next thing............how do you expect to run a dyno business and not know what your own truck puts out or how to tell if it is correct?
Put your truck on the rollers,does it perform to OEM specs.......done.
Towing at max gcvw (or over) will not feel like it is rarin' to go :hehe:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Also 5" exhaust will decrease torque at stock power levels :buttkick:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
is there anywhere I can find that about the MAP? I would love to have that to show teh short bus riders...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The truck will not fit inside the trailer w/o taking parts off... I have a warranty for a reason, so I don't have to worry aout how to fix/diag the problems with the pulling rig. I would have bought a cheaper, and older truck... maybe that woul have been better b/c i would have expected this.

I know you say it should feel slow/sluggist with the 14,500#s, but how come I am still getting passed by 2500 trucks with 15K #s of travel trailer or a huge camper, or a 3 car load on a car hauler. Why do these Dodge 2500 trucks not seem to have the same problems?

1 - 20 of 114 Posts