Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a appointment at a local Dodge Dealer to find out why I am getting poor MPG. I have a 98.5 3500 manual dulley . I get 13 mpg empty and 10 mpg towing a 2000 lb trailer.
The truck weighs 8000lbs. I think it is pertty much stock. The only thing I have found replaced is the lift pump. It has been put in the tank. The truck has 260,000
miles on it.
What should I have them check?????
I was thinking, lift pressure, injector pump pressure, timming, injectors, EGT and boost if it can be done.
Any Other Ideas????

Thanks...

·
Registered
793 Posts
sparkplugs?????:lol3::lol3::lol3::rof:rof:rof
tha doesnt sound too bad i dont think for the miles.:thumbsup

·
Banned
275 Posts
I ran a 02 for 250 miles that was a 2500 6 speed manual and avg 22 mpg...so I'd say that is pretty bad, i'd guess it should be close to 17 or 18 at least...now my 6.7L 2500 is worse than that, so don't feel bad

·
SootCloudMaker3
5,668 Posts
Well my 06 is averaging about 14 to 16 on a great day. Not sure what im doing wrong either.

Im in the same boat with ya bud.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
:agree2: I'm in the same boat also. My 06 will not do any better than 16 or 17 no matter how slow I drive. My buddy just tripped over 31000 in his 06 and his stupid over head jumbed to 23.4 and has he has been getting really good mileage. He hasn't hand calculated it yet, but he said that on a half tank + 5 gallons he was almost to 500 miles. Hopefully mine will get better then.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks!!!. I guess its not all Bad!!!!! Maybe its time to retire it and get a newer (04 or so) truck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I averaged 15.7 on the overhead for my first tank of fuel in the '08. Of course that was with some "trying out" the new truck!:w: My '05 Silverado 2500HD was getting about 17mpg hand calculated after 50k miles on it. My buddies '02 Dodge 3500 dually get's about 15mpg on average, but he drives it like he stole it!:lol3:

I'd check the ol' air filter and throw some injector cleaner in it to make sure it is breathing and drinking right.:$:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts