Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started when I picked up my new Resistol 3500 in Hickory today. As I test drove the truck for the first time I noticed the brakes were somewhat over sensitive, though I didn’t pay too much attention at the time.
As I hit I-40 everything seemed normal except the speed control would work only half the time which I was not overely concerned about.

I drove around 10 miles or so and pulled in a rest stop to do a walk around, I immediately noticed and could smell the brake pads and thought it might be normal since it only had 10 miles on the clock.

During the first 100 miles I was only getting around 12 mpg on the readout. After stopping to get a drink, I found a slight incline and as I slipped the tranny in neutral , I noticed that the truck would not roll down the incline at all – it felt like the brakes were slightly engaged.
After about 30 minutes, I finally traced my problem to the fact the brake pedal would not return to the full return position and therefore the brakes were slightly engaged.

I jumped back in truck set the speed control as I lifted the pedal with my foot and drove another 40 miles and noticed my mileage quickly went to 16-17 mpg. I pulled off the road again and noticed the rear brakes and calipers were now cool to touch.

To get home, I stopped at a Wal-Mart and picked up some rubber bounges and rigged one around the pedal to keep it in the full return position. By the way, the speed control now works perfect now as well.

I can’t help but think this might not be an isolated problem. As I read the many posts on mileage, I wonder if this problem might be widespread causing the brakes to slightly drag causing a loss of mileage.

I would recommend that anyone with lousey mileage,(or not) stop the truck on a slight incline and make sure the brakes are free and the truck rolls somewhat normal. Keep in mind that jacking the truck up and checking the wheels are free to turn, is not going to work unless the engine is running and the brake booster is up.

Regards

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks for the info; are you going to keep the rubber bungees??? lol

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I certainly would have turned around and went back to Hickory to have that repaired properly.....
Your mileage will still suck no matter what. Almost makes me wish I hadn't got a 6.7. If the truck wasn't so great to drive I might get rid of it already......

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well regarding bringing the truck back, after I called their shop and the "Top Notch Diesel" guy told me Exhaust brake was hanging up, I just didn't have the heart to insult the guy that the exhaust brake does not use the service brakes. Anyhow, I decided I would probably be better off bring it to a Tundra dealer or even my lawn mower repair shop.

Hey, do any of you experts out there have a break-a way of the brake booster? I guess when they built it in Tawian they forgot to put the return spring in.

Regarding the mileage, I just sold my Freightliner P2 pickup; eBay Motors: Other Makes : SPORTCHASSIS P2 PICKUP M2 FREIGHTLINER (item 130220607221 end time May-13-08 13:01:01 PDT) where I was getting 10-12, ( I loved that truck) so if I can get 14-16, I'll be doing cartwheels in the front yard. I traded my wife's Nissan in on the 3500 to deal with my mental loss problems.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Isn't the brake return spring part of the pedal apparatus up under the dash? Nice truck by the way. Mine has all the options too except for the fancy paint job. It's a great truck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Isn't the brake return spring part of the pedal apparatus up under the dash? Nice truck by the way. Mine has all the options too except for the fancy paint job. It's a great truck.
Actually, there is no real return spring like found on older trucks. The unit has electric pedals however they move on a bracket which does not change the position oe relationship of the linkage to the pedal / booster.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I can't believe you sold your Freightliner, that's a beautiful truck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts