Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an '02 HO/nv5600. Drove through single digit temps with no trouble, Used 1/3 bottle of Howe's Engine Treatment anti gel to 35 gal of fuel, made a crude winterfront out of cardboard. Engine temp gauge did not drop, heater kept me comfortable. Did notice a little different noise in the engine, fuel pressure gauge stayed at 14psi. Next morning cycled the grid heater twice and she cranked right up, FP 20. Let it warm up 15min outside temp-4f. Drove less than a mile and she started missing like crazy, fp dropped to zero, turned around and idled back to motel, shut her off and cycled the switch 3 times and got PO216 and PO121. Pretty sure the fuel gelled up and plugged up the filter. My question is does the PO216 mean the vp44 is really fried and I need to find another way to make the 600 mile trip home, or will adding more Howe's, and changing the filters fix the problem well enough to make the 600 mile trip home without needing a wrecker at some point in time.?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
yes fix the gelling issue. You may get lucky with the vp or you may not.
Following is a quote from Blue Chip Diesel
In my experience the 216 code is not a “Death Code” as some people say. It only tells you the Injection Pump can’t attain full timing advance to provide good fuel mileage and power. If this is the ONLY code and you don’t have any drivability issues, the VP44 does not need to be replaced, and most likely will not put you on the side of the road. If you DO have the 216 code you should check your Lift Pump pressure UNDER LOAD as Lift Pump pressure is what moves the timing piston and advances timing, so if Lift Pump pressure is low, that may be the cause of the 216 code. If the pressure is good, then the code means the housing of the Injection Pump is worn out, which all by itself, still isn’t a good enough reason to replace it, in my mind.

As for the other code , looks like you have an apps issue. You can try a reset but most likely replacement is in order.

Reactions: ottoscreation
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.