Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting feed back from my CB in to the EGTs on the PMT. When I key up the EGT readding jumps 1000* (idle at 250 jumps to 1250*) and it is even worse when i talk into it. seems like the EGT reading dances with the tone & valume of my voice. The CB is a Cobra 75 WX ST, dont know if that makes a difference.

Anyone got any suggestions? It really sucks when i am climbing a hill and my truck defuels because i said something on my CB.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Never heard of that, but it is kinda funny no offense.

·
Retired Old Fart!
8,561 Posts
Where you powering the radio from? Should wire to the battery for best results. Also that kind of stuff is sometimes High VSWR related. Last time you checked it?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had that happen with guages in my 96 as well, but I am pretty sure it was related to a ground issue, that I since resolved. Check and see where your running all your power connections to and make sure theyre in good shape.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where you powering the radio from? Should wire to the battery for best results. Also that kind of stuff is sometimes High VSWR related. Last time you checked it?
I am not powering from the radio, I took power from the wires to the outlet in the center console. Could that be my problem?

I really don't know much about CBs so i have no idea what VSRWs are, or how to check them. I assume that they are the power coming off of your antena? The only reason i have it is so my friends and I can BS when we are all on the road going to pismo with the toys. I like having the power and with the EGTs already higher it defuels all the time, normally at the most in-opertune times like climbing a hill with 20,000 lbs behind me.

Just incase it helps if i forget to put my antena on and key up nothing happens to the EGTs. If i am right about the what VSRWs are that would tell me that that is my problem.?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Interesting....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same problem on my 02. My EGT gauge is connected to the same power as my CB radio. My CB was pulling "dirty power" and throwing my gauge off. I changed antennas, checked my grounds, multimetered everything, then measured and adjusted SWR's (Standing wave ratio). You might be getting RF feedback on the power cord from your setup(this depends on grounds and antenna location).

Fixes: Run better antenna setup for lower SWR's. Try to get below 1.5:1 SWR.
Fix grounding issues
Run straight to the battery (like dad2bike stated)

Where is your antenna located?

·
OKLAHOMA CHAPTER PRESIDENT
881 Posts
It's a ground problem mine does it a little. You need to run your power to the battery on pass. Side away from where pmt gets it power and ground it also your bracket that your antenna is on run a wire from it to the frame or really good ground should solve your problem.

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
Yup, make sure everything is grounded properly, including your antenna. See if that changes things. You should check your SWR as it can smoke your radio. If you still have an issue try running power to your battery, or to a different power source (I don't like my radio constantly on). You can also try moving your antenna to a different location too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts