Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Plugging the wastegate.......not such a good idea

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  farmboysdiesel 
#1 ·
On level seven on the adrenaline pushing about 30 psi boost and about 10on the pyro the turbo started making noise i let off shoots to 0 psi and got nothing and makes all kinda of racket pretty sure i blew the old HX 35

#2 ·
ive seen spikes of over 52psi on mine and regularly sees 40-42psi. stock turbo no probs here.

#3 ·
i have pegged my 60 psi gauge once or twice and still works good. only for a few more days though. new is in route

#4 ·
i have an extreamly hard time believing that the charger blew because of 30 psi...probably snapped shaft cuz let out to quick and woofed charger

#8 ·
:agree2: That's what you get when you have a fully closed wastegate and you dump the throttle at WOT under hard acceleration.:thud:
All the built up pressure has to go somewhere, and it can't go out through the wastegate like it would normally.

#10 ·
That one big factor of it... :thud:

Here is a write up on turbo inspections...
Turbo Inspection

#9 ·
anything over 30-35 psi the drive pressures will be through the roof....and it's out of it's MAP and all's your doing is creating heat

#12 ·
Yea gus i was at work had bad service were i was at ill be getting ahold of you shortly and after taking it apart i realized i blew the bearings out on the exhaust wheel or at least i think.

#17 ·
Wonder what my drive pressure was when I hit almost 60psi.... hmm, I just had my boost elbow cranked down way too far, then hit the TST and boost was through the roof!!! It barked a lot more before the upgrade though, thats for sure, dunno why.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.