Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On level seven on the adrenaline pushing about 30 psi boost and about 10on the pyro the turbo started making noise i let off shoots to 0 psi and got nothing and makes all kinda of racket pretty sure i blew the old HX 35

·
Registered
545 Posts
ive seen spikes of over 52psi on mine and regularly sees 40-42psi. stock turbo no probs here.

·
Registered
648 Posts
i have pegged my 60 psi gauge once or twice and still works good. only for a few more days though. new is in route

·
Registered
689 Posts
i have an extreamly hard time believing that the charger blew because of 30 psi...probably snapped shaft cuz let out to quick and woofed charger

·
Registered
21 Posts
i run mine 35psi all day long with no problems

·
Registered
365 Posts
it all depends on the hot shut downs and the quality of oil that you run.

·
Boiler up!
2,451 Posts
i agree. unless u have just been barkin it all day long at 35 i dont think it should have blown

·
Registered
54 Posts
i have an extreamly hard time believing that the charger blew because of 30 psi...probably snapped shaft cuz let out to quick and woofed charger
:agree2: That's what you get when you have a fully closed wastegate and you dump the throttle at WOT under hard acceleration.:thud:
All the built up pressure has to go somewhere, and it can't go out through the wastegate like it would normally.

·
Go for Broke
7,953 Posts
anything over 30-35 psi the drive pressures will be through the roof....and it's out of it's MAP and all's your doing is creating heat

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea gus i was at work had bad service were i was at ill be getting ahold of you shortly and after taking it apart i realized i blew the bearings out on the exhaust wheel or at least i think.

·
Registered
268 Posts
So how do I not let out of it quick with a 5 Speed? I have been thinking about a blowoff valve, but do I really need one?

·
Registered
838 Posts
:agree2: That's what you get when you have a fully closed wastegate and you dump the throttle at WOT under hard acceleration.:thud:
All the built up pressure has to go somewhere, and it can't go out through the wastegate like it would normally.
How does the intake charge get to the exhaust side to go through the wastegate in the first place without going through the engine?

I think you are thinking of a blow of valve... the wastegate just limits compressor/turbine speed by limiting drive pressure to the turbo by bypassing the turbine.

CMIIR

·
Registered
689 Posts
So how do I not let out of it quick with a 5 Speed? I have been thinking about a blowoff valve, but do I really need one?
5 speeds aren't as bad as autos at scratching the charger when you let off....not for sure why but i would have to guess because you can shove the clutch in....anyone else?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Wonder what my drive pressure was when I hit almost 60psi.... hmm, I just had my boost elbow cranked down way too far, then hit the TST and boost was through the roof!!! It barked a lot more before the upgrade though, thats for sure, dunno why.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts