Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so i plugged my EGR back in cuz i needed to take it back to the stealership for not maintenance reasons, but didn't want them asking questions if they seen anything.

Well, anyway i plugged it back in also, b/c i was missing my remote start. ever since i did it seems to actually be running somewhat better. i haven't checked my mpg change. (i'm sure it may be worse) but yeah it seems to be liking the no CEL. also, maybe this is regen, (i'm not sure what its like) but while at stop lights i can smell a bit of diesel in the cab. i look around for buses or Fords, but its me.

is it just in my head?

-John

·
Southern Idaho VP
1,578 Posts
probably a regen with the diesel smell...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Yup. Regen will make an exhaust smell in the cab and burning toast smell outside.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Alright so i plugged my EGR back in cuz i needed to take it back to the stealership for not maintenance reasons, but didn't want them asking questions if they seen anything.

Well, anyway i plugged it back in also, b/c i was missing my remote start. ever since i did it seems to actually be running somewhat better. i haven't checked my mpg change. (i'm sure it may be worse) but yeah it seems to be liking the no CEL. also, maybe this is regen, (i'm not sure what its like) but while at stop lights i can smell a bit of diesel in the cab. i look around for buses or Fords, but its me.

is it just in my head?

-John
I know I'll get killed for this but I always felt the truck ran much better without the cel form the unplugged EGR. Pulling my camper always felt stronger and the reduced timing rattle was always a nice sound. I couldn't stand hearing allt at timing rattle with it just unplugged. IMO the engine with the new flashes ran better. I am currently removing everything because I got have a mini-maxx so I'm happy to be getting rid of the crap. The mileage to me was never that much different either unplugged vs. plugged in. :S:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i'll be getting the MM and 5" TBE in the spring so i wont care then, but i think i will just keep my EGR plugged for the time being.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I tried it. ran the same 150 mile loop. cruise set at 75 mph.

1st tank unplugged I got 16.3 mpg

2nd tank unplugged I got 13.3 mpg.

gonna plug it back in and check 1 more time.

seems the same on my truck either way.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried it. ran the same 150 mile loop. cruise set at 75 mph.

1st tank unplugged I got 16.3 mpg

2nd tank unplugged I got 13.3 mpg.

gonna plug it back in and check 1 more time.

seems the same on my truck either way.
yeah mine was pretty much the same way, better on the first tank then after that not worth having the CEL and loss of remote start. drove it unplugged for a bit over 2000 miles. i'll leave it alone til this spring.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ive read that it might take time for the computer to "adjust" for the EGR being unplugged. Nothing to back this up...... just something I read. For what its worth.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I too have never felt that there was any better mileage with the EGR unplugged vs. plugged. Except for the fact that it regens so much less frequently.

The rattle unplugged is annoying. But I do like how much cooler the EGTs run. That has to be good for durability!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I think what you guys are seeing is the fresh air butterfly doing wierd things which actually pulls exhasut through the EGR. When I just had my egr unplugged it had a kinda miss or stutter. I went ahaid and pulled the gear out of the butterfly and it has never been better!!

Try that, it only takes a few minutes to do

Chris

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think what you guys are seeing is the fresh air butterfly doing wierd things which actually pulls exhasut through the EGR. When I just had my egr unplugged it had a kinda miss or stutter. I went ahaid and pulled the gear out of the butterfly and it has never been better!!

Try that, it only takes a few minutes to do

Chris
My understanding was that this was only an issue with 2007.5-2009 trucks. And that 2010-2011 didnt need the gear/plunger removed.

Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts