Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone plow with there 2nd gen???? Just wondering how the truck handles it? thanks

·
Premium Member
12,050 Posts
I don't, but did hear of a Jeep hooked to a three bottom plow once and it did fine. Understand he had about fourty acres and horses were not up to job.

·
Registered
639 Posts
well the 2nd gen front end sucks as it is, so im sure a plow will chew it to bits. but the suspension, axles, and engine could more than handle the task

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea thats what i am worried about, the front end parts.....i would only have it on the truck when its going to snow and would come off soon after getting done with it....

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I plow with my 1996 and buddy plows with 1997 and other buddy with 2001 We do alot of commercial plowing though lots of turns stop n go and use the trucks hard. They wear but its not all that bad.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats good to know...for one thing my truck would probably only be a back-up, most likely it would be used just for clean ups and to haul the transfer tank since all our other trucks have salters in the back or are dump trucks

I do plan to beef up the front end though if i do go with a plow.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Dad plows with his 97. Does good and is a little hard on parts but if you have the time and skills to repair or fix it don't worry, it will pay for itself soon enough.

·
Rescue Tower
10,811 Posts
I don't, but did hear of a Jeep hooked to a three bottom plow once and it did fine. Understand he had about fourty acres and horses were not up to job.
Well nobody else seems to find that funny, but I did. I'm also not right in the head, so take it for what it's worth! :lol4:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol, just a slight mis understanding..... i didn't want to bring it up lol

·
Registered
264 Posts
i got a big V-plow on the front of mine and yeah i had to replace the ball joints and stuff but once i changed them its been fine for a few years now.. no complaints!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good to hear, do you have any pictures of the plows on your trucks??

·
Registered
956 Posts
Same here, 106k and only known problem is my track bar, but those wear out in 20k miles without a plow

I may have a balljoint getting loose now, but these trucks are definately stout, they can take a beating

I will probably keep my 01 for life and upgrade to an 06 for my toy, this 01 is just too good of a work truck to get rid of

·
Registered
59 Posts
Im on my 2nd plow on my 01 i had a western on it for 2 years this past winter i switched tio a lighter snoway plow just to be nice to the front end they handle a plow quit nicely. I need a new track bar now but i dont think the plow added to that problem too much. I take the plow off the truck when not in use thats a lot of xtra weight to carry if you dont need too. I also put abot 600 lbs in the bed to even out the weight and I dont have to use 4x4 as much with the weight in the back. just be careful when it the temp gets warm mine will heat up going the highway if is warm outside have to put plow almost to the ground

·
Registered
121 Posts
For plowing you really need a set of timbren load helpers for the front end as it really saves the front suspension. They are under $200 and well worth it. 500# in the back of the truck right next to the tailgate and you are ready to go.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well nobody else seems to find that funny, but I did. I'm also not right in the head, so take it for what it's worth! :lol4:
I hear ya n know what you are talkin about:thumbsup:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I plowed all winter with mine. No issues. I own my own company. No issues so far.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
good to know as i will probably be putting a plow on the truck i buy eventually

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.