Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, sorry to start another thread but I'm losing my mind reading up on the best way to run my truck to keep it reliable. Maybe this could be a sticky?

I have a version on my minimaxx that DOES NOT allow timing or throttle response adjustments, and power levels are stock, tow, street, performance.

Is this a newer or older version?

Am I safe to use this version?

My serial number shows up N/A, I have been told I can update, but box instructions say not to?

Everyone talks about their injection settings, and lots of back and forth on which versions, but frankly, I can find NOTHING on software without adjustable injection timing, and it's making me nuts. It would be nice to compile information on different firmware in one spot, would save me and many others a lot of headaches.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Where did you get the tuner? I believe the reason for the instructions saying not to is because the latest version eliminated the ability to return to any old tune versions.

Just to clarify, what exactly are you doing to the mini and truck when you are looking for the timing settings?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the tuner brand new off Ebay. I am assuming it was new old.stock or reprogrammed. From what I have read, the timing settings are only available during the download process, but mine does not.have that. The only pre-download options I have are low boost fueling and deleted/non deleted tuning. It also is not listed in the mfr instruction manual.
Where did you get the tuner? I believe the reason for the instructions saying not to is because the latest version eliminated the ability to return to any old tune versions.

Just to clarify, what exactly are you doing to the mini and truck when you are looking for the timing settings?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Minimaxx ????????

O.K........new to the forum and I just got a 2007.5, 6.7 Cummins in a 2500 Dodge Ram 4x4. I'm trying to figure out the best tuner to get for future deletes and performance upgrades. I see Minimaxx on ebay but not the Smarty or Smarty Jr. What's better and where do you get them ?
I'm not trying to high jack the thread it just seems 4horsecummins and I have some of the same questions.....

Thanks in advance for any help. New to this forum but not new to Cummins and used to be on other forums as well......

TR

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
H&s has been out if business for a very long time now. Any "new" tuners are likely hacked or used. Be sure if you go that route you know what you're getting into. Best bet is to get efi from a reputable company and be done. Dont cheap out on tuning or become one of the many horror stories you read about.

·
Registered
17 Posts
tuners ......

Apparently the new tuners are not delete tuners. I see stuff on ebay but who knows what they really are.......EFI that I have seen are NOT delete capable. Where are folks getting "Delete" tuners now ?
I did see some "Readme" tuners on another site.....anyone know about these. Pretty pricey though, like $800.
Is that the going cost for a delete tuner ?
Just like "the man in black" said I don't want to be the disaster everyone reads about......all I really need is a tuner to get rid of fault/cel/contact dealer/etc. codes after I do deletes. I'm not even going to upgrade the performance (well maybe a little) just need to stop/prevent fault codes after deletes.

Sorry, I guess I did sort of hijack the thread........

TR

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
800 is pretty cheap when you look at the cost of replacing a head gasket, head studs, pistons or remaning an engine. Poor tuning can easily lead to engine damage.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
O.K........new to the forum and I just got a 2007.5, 6.7 Cummins in a 2500 Dodge Ram 4x4. I'm trying to figure out the best tuner to get for future deletes and performance upgrades. I see Minimaxx on ebay but not the Smarty or Smarty Jr. What's better and where do you get them ?
I'm not trying to high jack the thread it just seems 4horsecummins and I have some of the same questions.....

Thanks in advance for any help. New to this forum but not new to Cummins and used to be on other forums as well......

TR
Anything below a grand is cheap for these trucks. Take some time to do some reading. There is more than enough info here for you to proceed with your plan.

·
Registered
17 Posts
thanks for the responses..

I guess I was being a little cheap in my thinking........However....I still can't seem to find a tuner that does deletes (except a Readme model). The only others are on ebay for about 600-700 range but I'm really afraid these might be clones or re-programmed older models.
I really don't mind paying whatever I need to to insure a quality out come. I'm doing these deletes to prolong the life of my motor and if it's expensive so be it...
Any recommendations ?????

And Thanks again for the help. I hope 4horsecummins benefited from this info as well.

TR

·
Registered
17 Posts
tuners.....

OK..I've read everything I can find (and alot of stuff is out of date and no longer readable, not to mention pic files no longer available))....so no one has made a recommendation as to what tuner might be capable of doing what I want to do. "Deletes without any real programming changes"....
It appears the Minimaxx might work but, again, is only available through ebay and who knows if it's new or re-programmed or what. Also it apparently is an H&S product which is no longer around.
I looked at EFI Edge products but talked to an installer who said the EFI's develop issues and require substantial wait times to power up. Also I can't find any that do deletes...So.......
Does anyone here have any first hand experience with the raceme tuners ? If so, how do they work ?
Anyone have any first hand experience with ANY tuner that is available (new) that does deletes? If so, what are they and where do you get them ?

I'm sure most, if not all of this has been hashed through before but as I said earlier, the threads that discuss this the most are very old and outdated. Many of the tuners available up to 2010-2011 are no longer available. New tuners do not allow deletes, So.....HELP !

Thanks to all so far and hopefully to those that can help in the future.
TR aka Billy

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
OK..I've read everything I can find (and alot of stuff is out of date and no longer readable, not to mention pic files no longer available))....so no one has made a recommendation as to what tuner might be capable of doing what I want to do. "Deletes without any real programming changes"....
It appears the Minimaxx might work but, again, is only available through ebay and who knows if it's new or re-programmed or what. Also it apparently is an H&S product which is no longer around.
I looked at EFI Edge products but talked to an installer who said the EFI's develop issues and require substantial wait times to power up. Also I can't find any that do deletes...So.......
Does anyone here have any first hand experience with the raceme tuners ? If so, how do they work ?
Anyone have any first hand experience with ANY tuner that is available (new) that does deletes? If so, what are they and where do you get them ?

I'm sure most, if not all of this has been hashed through before but as I said earlier, the threads that discuss this the most are very old and outdated. Many of the tuners available up to 2010-2011 are no longer available. New tuners do not allow deletes, So.....HELP !

TR aka Billy
You where answered in post #10 and it explains things quite well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
tuners

N Of 60...

Please read the thread before entering into a conversation you don't understand.......

I asked specific questions to members of this Forum and hoped I would get answers from some who have actual experience with the items I asked about. If you don't have any first hand experience with the items or anything constructive to ad, please refrain from commenting.......

TR

·
Registered
4,527 Posts

TR aka Billy
Edge and efi are two completely separate things. Are you asking about Efi(autocal or v2) or the edge insight or evolution. Edge does not delete. So that's pretty out for you. Unless you just want the insight for gauges. Yea they sometimes are slow to load up but usually you can unplug and plug it back in to fix it. If your installer ever referred to an EFI edge you should consider a new installer..
The auto cal for efi only needs to be hooked up once for the initial tune, takes maybe 15min. After that only needed hook up to switch tunes, if you dont buy the optional CSP switch.
Any of this should easily be handled by you. No need to pay an installer to do it for you.
As for the race me, I dont have first hand experience but I do know EFI is among the best if you get it from a top tier tuner. Why would I try raceme when efi is superior.

Sort story, call one of the site sponsors that offer tuning( I recommend EFI via and auto cal) and go from there. Efi is the software that the tuner uses to write the tunes, they put them on the auto cal( or email you and you load them on the auto cal) and then you load them in the truck. As far as I know raceme is just box tunes.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
N Of 60...

Please read the thread before entering into a conversation you don't understand.......

I asked specific questions to members of this Forum and hoped I would get answers from some who have actual experience with the items I asked about. If you don't have any first hand experience with the items or anything constructive to ad, please refrain from commenting.......

TR
Again, your answer was where I referred you to.
Go through the vendors, make a call, buy what you need. Done!

·
Premium Member
15,173 Posts
.so no one has made a recommendation as to what tuner might be capable of doing what I want to do. "Deletes without any real programming changes"...
You cannot do that, that is why no one is answering. In addition it totally defeats the whole reason for deleting, getting rid of the emissions tuning that is inefficient.

Scrap the H&S, it isn't that good compared to custom tuning and since they are history you run a huge risk. The Smarty S-67 is a delete tuner with box tunes that works quite well if you are careful.

You can get good custom tuning with EFI Live, HP Tuners, and Smarty. You can do performance emissions tuning or delete tuning, not part of each. The only one I have experience with for performance emissions tuning is the Smarty Touch and it is as good as any. For the others you will have to see if vendors are offering custom performance emissions tuning and how they do it.

Everyone has their favorite and it is the best ever, you can pick one and love it or do some research and see what is out there.

These trucks are expensive, making changes is expensive and get more so if you make the wrong choice. Educate yourself and talk to the vendors, getting solid answers 6.7 tuning is like getting solid answers on the Gen III hemis, it exists but no one is making material suggestions that answer all the questions. You will have to dig it out yourself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
tuning...

cerberusiam:

I apologize....my choice of words were incorrect. What it should have said was....
"I want to do deletes without necessarily doing any PERFORMANCE" changes".....
I fully realize you have to do "programming" changes, which is what I'm trying to decide.
I have spoken to several vendors and most don't want to talk about "Deleting" at all. None will recommend a programmer/tuner that will allow me to do deletes. If you know of any, again, please recommend them.
Current EFI tuners do not allow deletes........Nor do Edge tuners...As you stated H&S is no longer offering any support for the minimaxx tuners Smarty tuners are available on ebay but I'm reluctant to get one of these as they may or may not have the delete tuning......

·
Premium Member
15,173 Posts
Smarty S-67ME is what you want if you can find one. A regular S-67 then download the ME delete file is what a lot do.

Pretty sure both EFI and HPT will delete and turn off all the emissions stuff IF it is programmed that way. A delete tune is rather dangerous because big brother is watching, both Edge and H&S got in trouble over that and most of the rest will not sell a delete tuner in the US.

·
Registered
17 Posts
cerberusiam:

THANK YOU........This is what I had seen in the past but where would I find an "ME" program today ? Is that something someone may have that can be downloaded into the Smarty S-67. I really hope the EPA has better things to do than monitor Talk Forums, but..........

Thanks again for the info.

TR

1 - 20 of 20 Posts