Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering leaving Ford for the Cummins. I need a 3500 4x4 crew cab with a manual.
Here is how I use my truck now. I pull a 32ft gooseneck with 7 tons on it for a total of about 20k lbs. Occasionally I pull 28,000lbs short distances.
I have heard many stories of issues with the common rail and of course issues with the new 6.7. I need power and dependability and feel the Cummins with fit the bill based on it's past history. But what years did they have the bugs worked out and seem to have the least amount of trouble?
I will be buying a low mileage 2004-2007 with the 5.9 HO.
What are some of the common weak links even for the "good" years?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Lusty

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
i am a 12 valve guy myself but i would say 2006 is a great year, good power and reliable, or 2007 5.9. since you need a 4 door that rules out a 12 valve. hope it helps, also will you be upgrading it in anyway or will you leave it stock?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I already made the switch. I had two PSD's and 04 and an 06, both crew cab F350 lariats. Before you ask, I thought I got a bad one with the 04, but when the 06 had the same problems I jumped ship.
Its not the same weight but; with the truck in my sig I tow 13,000lbs three days a week with no problems. The truck has a lot more grunt, even with the auto than my fords ever thought about.
I will say that my fords were a lot more "plush" interior wise than my dodge, but not having to constantly look at a check engine light is worth the change in my book.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I drove an 06 with 100k the other day and it felt used. I think it was abused. I noticed that low end has more get up than my psd. my cousins 04 auto definitely does. I will upgrade this new truck some.I went crazy with the psd but I think it needed it.
I will probably just do the exhaust, intake and Smarty.

How does the stock clutch hold up? Am I right by thinking that an 06/07 with the 5.9 would be the most dependable. Being the last year of a model, maybe they got all the bugs worked out?
Lusty

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
For the least problems I would go 2004.5 through early 2007.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts