Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys-

I need some help from the guys who know suspensions. I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum and want to change my lift that I have on the truck right now. I bought the truck used with the lift already on it and I have no idea who made the lift. I think the owner pieced it together from Tuff Country and some Rancho shocks. The truck sits pretty high and wold assume its around 6" lift.

I want to lower truck while providing the best ride as possible. I mostly use it as a daily driver but also hunt a lot so it will be used for some off road as well. My wife hates how big it is and the ride is not the best either. I would like to go with either the Carli or Thuren and run 35" tires instead of 37".

My question is can I use any of my current parts from the lift or should I just invest in all new. Also, can I use the air bags I have now with Carli/Thuren? I do pull a 22" bumper pull travel trailer. Attatched is some pictures to help identify what I have.

I can add more pictures if needed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
353 Posts
First off you are on the right track. Those coils spacers in front ride terrible and carli or thuren front coils will be a world of difference. Not sure of the control arms (probably tuff country) but you might be able to utilize them depending on the length 1/2" longer than stock is preferable. Take those shocks off and get some bilstiens 5100s or 2.0 single shocks will also help(or find out what they are with lengths and talk to don to see if you can use them). As for the rear you will remove the blocks and overloads and install mini-pacs or for a better ride full leafs. You will also have to remove the airbag spacers. I run pac brake airbags with my mini pacs and they good. Could hamper ride though. Best case scenario is full leafs and carli LT air bags but it is pricey.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Titan. I am sure the control arms are Tuff Country because one has the sticker on it. So the shocks I have right now wouldnt work with the new coils right? Also, in the rear what are the overloads....the airbags? Would I keep the dual steering stabilizer or upgrade that as well.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
you will need to change or modify some areas.... shocks, spring and spacer, tracbar or tracbar drop bracket, pitman arm, contrl arms, and who knows what is in the rear. call thuren or carli, if you can order a complete setup, with contrl arms, and you should be fine. yu may need to purchase a stock pitman arm, and possibly cut oof a tracbar drop bracket.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Not sure shocks could be to long and hamper the ride/smash when compressed(Other suspension gurus would know more). The overload is the striaght bottom leaf on the rear leafs. That is the main reason for the harsh riding rearends. When you upgrade to mini pacs you remove the overload leaf and replace with five deaver leafs which helps tremendously in the rear. gives about a .5 inch lift with the 3" front makes it level. I believe you can keep the dual stabilizer. I thought that i heard srtlegal say once you go with the dual stabilizer you can't go back but you would have to check (I think it is because you cut the stock stabilzer mount off but not sure). I do know you can upgrade the dual stabilizers though. You should really call Don or Carli they are super cool guys and will make the best kit to work for you and be able to keep as many parts as possible. Many guys have had to do the same thing.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Just buy a full kill system from carli/thuren and then you won't have to worry about what u need. Or you could just get some stock control arms and just redo the front end with coills and shocks and loose the blocks add new shocks and don't forget new rear u bolts for the leaf pack.

·
Registered
414 Posts
wow totally sucks they cut the stock sway bar mount on the axle off.......

you will need to make custom sway bar end links

Reactions: shellb

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Terribleone- Can you see that from the pictues that I posted? Is that going to be a major issue. I am half tempted to sell the truck and start over...ha!

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
T you are like a ninja good catch!

Bummer on that situation but some guys run without the swaybar and love it especially with the stock rear leaves.

It's not the end of the world but it is a pain in the a$$. I have never seen that one before.

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
I have a feeling that some one hacked up the left side stabilzer mount to. Normally when 4wheel parts put on those pimp dual stabilizers they end up cutting off the stock mount...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great I think that might be the case with the dual mount. I wonder if this will be more work in the end that it is worth. Might be to to shine it up and put it on Autotrader:S:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I wouldnt sell the truck because of the sway bar mounts. It wouldnt be that difficult to fab up some new links if you want to run the sway bar.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am being dramatic! I am sure I can get somebody to help me get it put the truck back together. The truck looks good but it is not very practical especially since its my daily driver and my wife is talking kids:confused013:. I emailed Carli today with some questions so hopefully they will get back. Has anyone used SuperDuty HQ in Gilbert AZ for install on lift or anything else? I live in Utah and this is the closest delaer. What about just driving down to Carli for the install. If I am going to spend the money I want it done right...especially with all the crazy stuff going on! I plan on doing the upgraded steering and Ball joints as well.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yea you can get both the end link mounts and SS mount fabed back up. I would make sure i had the parts handy to test fit.

Also some other things to look @ are to see if a trans drop bracket was installed to correct drive line angles of that "LIFT" you currently have on the truck.

Having that trans drop is the best way to crack your transmission housing.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Some other things you might want to look out for on your truck are those fender flares. They will ware a mark all the way down to the metal on the bed side were they make contact. It happened to my buddies truck very sad.

Also im not sure what wheels you run but if you go Carli Suspension you will want a rim with 5 3/4"+ Back spacing

·
Registered
414 Posts
Terribleone- Can you see that from the pictues that I posted? Is that going to be a major issue. I am half tempted to sell the truck and start over...ha!
Yea a lot of us that have a trained eye and can pick up on this stuff. Most of the diehard suspension junkies work on our own trucks and also others. We have seen and experienced a lot.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Terribleone-

Thanks for all the help. I will check all the items you mentioned. Next time I will buy a stock truck and build it how I want to and it will save me money in the long run. I emialed Carli a couple of days ago but have not heard back so I will give them a call.

I will say one nice thing I have is my aftermarket rear bumper. I had a Subaru on ice this morning rear end me and doesnt even look like anything happend! The Subaru was trashed....luckily the guy was alright!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Terribleone-

Thanks for all the help. I will check all the items you mentioned. Next time I will buy a stock truck and build it how I want to and it will save me money in the long run. I emialed Carli a couple of days ago but have not heard back so I will give them a call.

I will say one nice thing I have is my aftermarket rear bumper. I had a Subaru on ice this morning rear end me and doesnt even look like anything happend! The Subaru was trashed....luckily the guy was alright!
Its not always bad to buy a truck with a lift on it. After i rolled my my 04 i bought an 07 with a lift on it. I knew i was gonna put my Carli kit on the new one. So i just had to really give the truck a once over. Making sure nothing was cut off or altered. Its all about knowing what to look for.

It was nice to be able to sell the lift kit the truck came with to pocket some extra coin.

·
Vendor
6,375 Posts
I am being dramatic! I am sure I can get somebody to help me get it put the truck back together. The truck looks good but it is not very practical especially since its my daily driver and my wife is talking kids:confused013:. I emailed Carli today with some questions so hopefully they will get back. Has anyone used SuperDuty HQ in Gilbert AZ for install on lift or anything else? I live in Utah and this is the closest delaer. What about just driving down to Carli for the install. If I am going to spend the money I want it done right...especially with all the crazy stuff going on! I plan on doing the upgraded steering and Ball joints as well.
I am sure that you could find someone local that could do the work. The install isn't that complicated on the 3" systems. Plus it is nice to be close to the guys that installed it if you need to have anything checked out/torqued down etc. as opposed to hundreds of miles away.

Be patient with Carli as they have a ton on their plate right now in addition to moving to a bigger facility. You can always run your questions by your friendly forum sponsoring Carli dealer.:w:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts