Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I picked my truck up from the mechanic that I usually use for some small things. Drove about half mile on way to work and the truck was smoking a ton. Burning oil. I pulled over and there was a significant oil leak, not sure where from. I looked things over and my blowby tube was pinched off. I had extended it below my front axle and looks like he moved it pinching it off. I re-routed it to where it was and the was no more smoking but it still seems to be leaking a bit. Can't tell if its residual oil or if it was still leaking. Does anyone know if I blew a gaskets? Which one if I did. Its hard to tell where the oil is coming from. The total trip was only 4miles. Please advice/help!!

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
You're fine. Things like this is why I'm doing more of my own work. I tried to sub it out but there are a bunch of idiots with wrenches calling themselves ASE certified.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

I was hoping to hear that. I used to do everything on my truck, then got busy and into the routine of dropping it off. Those days are over, this is the second time this has happened. So I am good, it didn't build up pressure and blow something?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hard to say. I've read that if that breather gets blocked it'll likely blow a seal. Best bet is to clean it down real well and keep an eye on it to see if a leak is present.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what seal?

Do you know what seal? We talking oil cooler gasket, or head gasket? Knowing my luck I will plan for the worst.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I read it in the Powertrain forum yesterday under "should have lost my puke bottle long ago". I believe the crank seal was mentioned by moparman, but don't quote me, read for yourself.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Had the same issue with my breather tube that extended down in front of axle became pinched/plugged (my fault) but blew a gasket. Developed a healthy oil leak, had my mechanic replace gasket not even sure which one it was, but required decent amount of labor to access/replace/reassemble.

·
Diesel Filled Veins!
5,401 Posts
I know this is no help NOW but when you get a chance, convert that hose into PVC or some other hard walled tubing so this doesn't happen again. Mine is 3/4" stainless and runs over top of the engine beside the valve cover and down the back of engine to the frame. I live in very cold weather and it survived not freezing all last winter and this winter (freezing temps from October onward).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ya i need to do the PVC mod, while replacing the gasket last spring a new puke bottle was put on so I need to re-do.

Sandman, one thing you might be able to explain to me is the overflow problem. IF you run hose straight down rather than PVC up and over engine there is still a 90 degree bend out the top of the crankcase breather?

·
Diesel Filled Veins!
5,401 Posts
Ya i need to do the PVC mod, while replacing the gasket last spring a new puke bottle was put on so I need to re-do.

Sandman, one thing you might be able to explain to me is the overflow problem. IF you run hose straight down rather than PVC up and over engine there is still a 90 degree bend out the top of the crankcase breather?
There's a couple ways you can do it but this is basically how I ran mine:
Crankcase Vent

·
Registered
160 Posts
Mine did the same thing and the tappet cover gasket blew out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts