Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While driving all of a sudden I got a dead pedal right after decel with very low RPM and rough running.

Had it towed home and pulled codes and got a P0251,0237, 1688, and 0252. I know what those codes are after looking them up - The 251, 252, and 1688 are depressing. So I disco'd my VA V5, returned the MAP connection to stock then cleared the codes and tried to start it - nothing. Cranks fine but won't fire. The only thing left is the P1688: Internal Fuel Injection Pump, Controller Failure, Internal problem within the fuel injection pump. Low power, engine derated, or engine stops.

I was going to try to reset the apps to see if that helped being I have a dead pedal and all but it seems if I have a 1688 code that means the electronics can't tell the VP to send fuel, period. APPS reset probably won't do any good.

Ever since I installed the FASS 95 I've had good pressure between 16 and 13; no lower. However, before I installed the FASS about 8 mos ago, my OEM style LP failed 3 times over a year and brought the pressure below 3-4 PSI at times. I'm thinking that may have just worsed things.

Any ideas?

Thanks again, Mike.

Thanks very much, Mike

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,298 Posts
VP44 is phyiscally shot as well as electronic as fried...

P0237 - Map Sensor Voltage Too Low MAP sensor voltage input below the minimum acceptable voltage.
P0251 - Fuel Inj. Pump Mech. Failure Fuel Valve Feedback Circuit Problem sensed with fuel circuit internal to fuel injection pump.
P0252 - No listing in the Dodge FSM.
P1688 - Internal Fuel Injection Pump Controller Failure Internal problem within the fuel injection pump. Low power, engine derated, or engine stops.

No matter what you VP44 is done...

As for the APPS adjustment you might want to read up on my APPS write up...
APPS Sensor
(Read the update at the bottom)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Why hell!! At least I got the full use out of the dang thing.

MoparMan, already have :D. Your site is sort of my second bible.

As for the VP, it's all good; I had a feeling it was dead when it did go - all the signs were there. BUT on the positive side, with the newer VP rebuilds the electronics should be solid and I'm running 2 stroke so I should be covered for another 100k +. Plus Gus gave me a pretty fair price on a replacement.

Sucks because we're down a vehicle but good because 'till this point it had no issues and now when the replacement comes I at least know it will be well fed with the Fass.

Take it easy and thanks for the input.

Mikey.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts