Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the middle of replacing my dash today. I disconected the shift linkage at the bottom of the steering column and then took the two bolts out that hold the steering wheel up. when i dropped the steering column the truck came out of gear and started going down hill dragging me with it down my steep driveway. I panicked for a second but then mashed the e brake with my hand and got the truck to stop before it collided with anything. Now my truck wont go into gear at all even with the shift linkage hooked back up. The red indicator is all the way to the left of the P on the visual indicator. Please help!!!

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Have you checked it underneath?. Something must have come undone. Is this moving?
Also check this didn't move
This is the bit thats connected directly to the steering column shifter.

Reactions: tlpatter

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where exactly is that located???

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Drivers side. Climb under the wheel well behind the wheel and between the plastic liner thing and the chassis look up, you'll see it there.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didnt see anything loose. Am I suppose to be able to move the linkage by hand?

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
No. Can you get someone to move the shifter while you watch under the truck. Something is obviously fell off. Alternatively take a note of the position of the linkage on the trans and then pull the shifter down and see if the linkage moved. I assume you've checked under the hood where the shifter and column come through the fire wall?. There's a rod on it that drops down. Thats what the 2nd pic is showing.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i havent tried to start it up yet and move it cos the batteries are still disconnected, but when i put the key in the ignition and move the column shifter the indicator moves through its positions... dont have anyone to move the shifter while i look under the truck at the moment.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Block your wheels first !!!

Ed
Little late for that, don'tchya think?? :confused013::hehe:

Best of luck, but seriously be glad everything worked out and you didn't run over yourself or anyone else!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well guys i dont know exactly what happened but i hooked everything up and it shifts fine. Thanks guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.