Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm using an Anderson No-Sway/weight distribution hitch (Hitch I'm using) and have Air Lift air helper springs (the truck does not have auto leveling) filled to ~70psi - the psi used was determined by measuring the fender height of the rear unloaded and then attaching the trailer and adding air until the squat was gone.
Your weight distribution hitch is setup all wrong. The hitch should be setup up WITHOUT ANY AIR IN THE BAGS (as mentioned above). If you do add air to the bags after the hitch is properly setup do not add so much that it lifts the rear of the truck or else it throws the weight distribution out of whack and you could be in for a fun ride. Airbags can raise the rear end but they are nowhere near as good as a properly setup WDH. Also I've heard that the Anderson WDH does a poor job of distributing weight on heavier tongue trailers. I've always wanted to try one because they look super easy to hook up vs my Equal-izer but my Equal-izer performs flawlessly.......if it ain't broke don't fix it

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I'm using an Anderson No-Sway/weight distribution hitch (Hitch I'm using) and have Air Lift air helper springs (the truck does not have auto leveling) filled to ~70psi - the psi used was determined by measuring the fender height of the rear unloaded and then attaching the trailer and adding air until the squat was gone.
You should adjust the truck height with the WDH, not the air bags. The WDH is only moving 140 lbs to your steer axle which isn't enough IMO. The front axle is 500 lbs less with the load than empty. That's too light IMO.

Your front trailer axle is probably carrying much more load than the rear with that much tongue weight. If you go back to the scale, check each axle individually if possible, it'll help to know this for arranging the trailer loading.

You are doing the right thing by getting those weight and getting things adjusted properly. As far as the truck axles, they are good for 6000 front & 6500 rear so the 10,000 GVWR is not relevant as far as overloading the truck. You have the luxury of being able to tweak the trailer axle loading so once you get it setup, you'll be perfect and the GVWR will probably be easily under the mystical 10,000 lbs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The thing is, this Anderson Hitch does not adjust the truck height like a traditional weight distribution hitch with the bars.

See photo - you attach your trailer to the hitch, tighten the chains and then lower the trailer all the way onto the ball - as the trailer lowers, the chains get super tight and the red bushing things compress.

I think it works better for sway control than the usual weight distribution - not sure how this hitch would affect the truck height.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
You're not over-analyzing it. It's not a 5k trailer. Not when you add the numbers. You're at 18k. Unless your truck weighs 13,000 lbs, you don't have a 5k trailer.

If the Curb Weight on your truck is 8k lbs, then your tongue weight is 2,340 lbs. I added the total weight of front and rear axles and subtracted the known curb weight of the 4X4. I doubt it's totally accurate since your truck is probably heavier than the factory curb weight right now, but it's a starting point. That's quite a lot for the size trailer you're talking about. Sounds like you got about a 1,000 lbs too much on the tongue, assuming it's about a 10k trailer. Move some weight around. I prefer 10% tongue weight or a little more. But every trailer is different.

You shouldn't have to use the airbags much at all if your WDH is set up properly.

Don't rely on me, I'm just making convesation.

·
Registered
14,424 Posts
I weighed my loaded truck and trailer set-up today and need some help interpreting the numbers to make sure all is good.

I have no experience with steer axle, drive axle and trailer axle weights but was curious was the full set-up weighed so stopped at a nearby scale today - below is a photo of the weights.

As mentioned in the title - the truck is a 2018 Ram 2500 megacab diesel. Trailer is an all aluminum 26 foot enclosed InTech car hauler (two 5200 lbs axles). Inside is one car, a pit bike, tires, tools, etc....basically, what you'd need for a day at the race track.

I was more curious on total weight which was 17,980lbs - but did not know how to interpret the specific axle weights to see if things needed to be loaded differently. The trailer pulls grteat with zero sway or drama even in heavy winds.

thoughts?

View attachment 909367
You are absolutely golden with that weight, you have no issues at all.

You are well under all of your axle weight ratings and the distribution looks very good.

I would have ZERO ISSUES with towing that anywhere in the world.

Forget all of the weight police detractors on here, you are good to go, no need to change ANYTHING.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You're not over-analyzing it. It's not a 5k trailer. Not when you add the numbers. You're at 18k. Unless your truck weighs 13,000 lbs, you don't have a 5k trailer.

If the Curb Weight on your truck is 8k lbs, then your tongue weight is 2,340 lbs. I added the total weight of front and rear axles and subtracted the known curb weight of the 4X4. I doubt it's totally accurate since your truck is probably heavier than the factory curb weight right now, but it's a starting point. That's quite a lot for the size trailer you're talking about. Sounds like you got about a 1,000 lbs too much on the tongue, assuming it's about a 10k trailer. Move some weight around. I prefer 10% tongue weight or a little more. But every trailer is different.

You shouldn't have to use the airbags much at all if your WDH is set up properly.

Don't rely on me, I'm just making convesation.
The trailer weighs 5000lbs empty - just over 9000 loaded.

Truck weighed 8800 lbs "empty" - well at least with the stuff I normally keep in it for a track day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You are absolutely golden with that weight, you have no issues at all.

You are well under all of your axle weight ratings and the distribution looks very good.

I would have ZERO ISSUES with towing that anywhere in the world.

Forget all of the weight police detractors on here, you are good to go, no need to change ANYTHING.
I was hoping you'd reply because, I believe you do this for a living.

The set-up feels great when towing. I originally had the car loaded further back and the trailer moved around more that I would like.

Moved the car forward, so added some tongue weight, and it feels perfect.

I was wondering if I moved the car a bit too far forward and was not sure what would happen to the weights if I moved it back like a few inches?

Like I said, I'm just learning this stuff so I think most of this is purely educational for me. Towed from the Chicago area to mid ohio a few weeks ago (~375 miles each way) and there was zero drama.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The thing is, this Anderson Hitch does not adjust the truck height like a traditional weight distribution hitch with the bars.

See photo - you attach your trailer to the hitch, tighten the chains and then lower the trailer all the way onto the ball - as the trailer lowers, the chains get super tight and the red bushing things compress.

I think it works better for sway control than the usual weight distribution - not sure how this hitch would affect the truck height.

View attachment 909436
None of the hitches "adjust truck height" they transfer weight and with that comes a difference in ride height. I researched the Anderson hitch to death a few years ago because I seriously wanted to use one but came to the conclusion that my trailer was too big even though it is within Andersons spec. My toyhauler when loaded comes in at 10,200 lbs. With the trailer hooked to my truck and the WDH setup the trucks weight is 8980 lbs. The truck sits pretty much level, maybe a slight sag. Setup your hitch from scratch without air in the bags and I bet you'll have much better results. Heres a pretty good video of how to setup the Anderson

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts

View attachment 909436

That is a horrible hitch. You need one of these or similar. A good WD hitch really will move the weight back to the front tires. Your hitch does not do that and is a waste of time and money. Also adding air to the bags does not change the weight distribution. It just decreases rear end sag. With that much tongue weight and that much loss of weight on the steer axles a good WD hitch will make it drive so much better.

·
Registered
14,424 Posts
I was hoping you'd reply because, I believe you do this for a living.

The set-up feels great when towing. I originally had the car loaded further back and the trailer moved around more that I would like.

Moved the car forward, so added some tongue weight, and it feels perfect.

I was wondering if I moved the car a bit too far forward and was not sure what would happen to the weights if I moved it back like a few inches?

Like I said, I'm just learning this stuff so I think most of this is purely educational for me. Towed from the Chicago area to mid ohio a few weeks ago (~375 miles each way) and there was zero drama.
I wouldn't change a thing from the setup on that scale ticket.

·
Registered
14,281 Posts
What happens when driving through a dip with that Anderson Hitch? Something will have to give.
I suppose the clamped-on tongue brackets would slip before anything broke.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
That is a horrible hitch. You need one of these or similar. A good WD hitch really will move the weight back to the front tires. Your hitch does not do that and is a waste of time and money. Also adding air to the bags does not change the weight distribution. It just decreases rear end sag. With that much tongue weight and that much loss of weight on the steer axles a good WD hitch will make it drive so much better.

View attachment 909439
I've seen the ones you posted above. The Anderson came with the trailer so I've been using it for years.

Works AWESOME for sway control - apparently not awesome for weight distribution :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
What happens when driving through a dip with that Anderson Hitch? Something will have to give.
I suppose the clamped-on tongue brackets would slip before anything broke.
Not sure how the physics work but prior to this current truck set-up, I towed using it for many miles without any problems and the clamped on tongue brackets are still in position.

·
Registered
14,281 Posts
Physically, once the give in those bushings is taken up, something else has to move. Not an issue on flat ground, but I couldn't get away with using one.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
From a post a few years ago when I picked up my 32' trailer and was concerned about tongue weight and loading. Works great for me.

"Pick-up one of these from Sherline - Tongue Weight Scale. 2k capacity. $135.00. As far as I’m concerned, this thing is invaluable; especially when towing a big, heavy trailer with a SRW. On my 32' triple axle cargo trailer, Tongue weight empty is 750 lbs. With a long cargo trailer like mine, it’s way too easy to overload the tongue because there is so much space to fill in front of the axles. Even though it’s a Triple axle and really stable, it’s still too easy to “front load” too heavy to be safe. When I did some test runs with the Trailer to shake it down before my first really long trip, it was easy to see 1600 – 1900 lbs on the tongue. With the loads I was carrying, I wanted to keep it in the 1500 – 1600 lb range max with the OEM Hitch. With this scale, there’s no guess work anymore. You simply move stuff around in the Trailer to get the Tongue weight right where you want it. Should have bought this thing a long time ago…."

·
Registered
14,281 Posts
I really like those. Started with a 1K version, then got a 2K. Now I wish I had a 5K.

Reactions: 6401nohl
21 - 37 of 37 Posts