Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started screwin the screw in ad checking for run away, got it till it won't go farther in and truck went from 900rpms to 1100 at idle, then if it tap the throttle it would jump to 1900 then go all the way to 400 almost die then fire up to 1100. So I stood on it till 3000 then let off and the truck just shut off. I put the idle screw all the way in from front to firewall and didn't make a difference. Any time I move the FP screw in it does this. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I would start with a good fuel system cleaner like Seafoam or Chemtool. They can get a little gummie inside and not move freely. The religious use of a fuel lubricant is also a must to keep things a movin.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Having similar issue with mine right now. If I figure it out I will letcha know. My pumps currently up 3 turns, smoke screw bottomed, fuel pin grinded.

If you take your throttle down and hold it in N (like 1/4 throttle, or 1/5th) does the RPMs pick up and then kinda drop off? Mine is doing this to.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
If it only drops a little and stabilizes after you push the throttle down, that's normal. The governor doesn't know were your at until it over shoots a little the settles in. If it never stabilizes, then there can be a few problems from sticking to internal leaking due to wear clearances to just worn o-rings.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it only drops a little and stabilizes after you push the throttle down, that's normal. The governor doesn't know were your at until it over shoots a little the settles in. If it never stabilizes, then there can be a few problems from sticking to internal leaking due to wear clearances to just worn o-rings.
Well it drops an comes back up to idle. But the pump is old so I won't tamper too much with it

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Like I said before, run some cleaner through it. It won't hurt it. My 91 has almost 300,000 on it now and still runs good. I had similar issues when I started moding it. A good cleaning was all it needed.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Same here mine has 350k + with the fuel turned up and the factory injectors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts