Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to replace my brake master Cylinder and booster.... but I dont want to put another junk metal brake master Cylinder on it... if searched and searched and cant find anyone swap one with a plastic resivor.... will done from a 94 or 95 2nd gen work? Maybe a chevy? No I dont want to swap to hydroboost.. thanks

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Go with a good Rebuilt Metal one Napa has them and I've never ran across any problem's with there stuff .

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like doing things ONE time and dont want to take a chance.... thanks for the suggestion tho

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The iron masters were used for decades on several vehicles besides Dodges. If they were that bad they would have disappeared long ago.

Get a quality reman or new unit. Or sit down with catalogs trying to figure out which plastic resevoir setup might fit.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Never heard of someone wanting to replace a metal one for plastic.

If you do find one please post it here, if mine leaks I may try it.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I run a booster and MC from a 96 dodge, had to drill 2 holes in the firewall that was it. Works way better than the stock junk. Had gone through several MC's and a couple boosters that were all bad before I went with the newer setup. Not sure if the newer Mc would work with the older booster though.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I run a booster and MC from a 96 dodge, had to drill 2 holes in the firewall that was it. Works way better than the stock junk. Had gone through several MC's and a couple boosters that were all bad before I went with the newer setup. Not sure if the newer Mc would work with the older booster though.
Thanks betsy......!!!

·
Registered
697 Posts
I wanna say thechoochlyman had a write up on putting the 2nd gen setup on his 1st gen, before he went to hydroboost. Might help you if you can find the thread.

·
Registered
697 Posts
If I remember right drill 2 more holes in the firewall for the booster. Drill out the hole on the booster rod to fit the brake peddle knob. And can't remember but think I had to get new ends on the lines to fit the MC ports. I believe that was it, been a couple years now since I did it. It is a longer setup than the stock one so it is close to my IC piping, so take that into consideration.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
I HATE the plastic top on my grand marquis. It leaks a little where it attaches to the master cylinder. The one piece metal mc never had that as an issue. If I knew what metal part would replace it I would gladly put a 1976 part on my car and truck just to eliminate the plastic reservoir.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts