Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to start off iv been in the auto painting business for around 5-6 years and have to say im pretty good at laying paint and clear down, so my boss says who's painted who knows how many show cars. Anyways one day i came to work and my boss was on this Plasti Dip kick he had herd of it and was all interested in it. First we found that most people were using it for emblems and wheels or little stuff, then we stumbled across dipyourcar.com and that's what really started this hole thing. There you can purchase kits to as they call it "Dip your car" in all asortments, my boss wanted to use my truck as a test to see if this is something that we could offer at our shop, basically wanted to see how it sprayed and its durability, so iv been wanting to change the color of my truck to a custom red (meaning non chrysler color, one off) but its roughly $2500 in materials plus my weekend, so i chose the matte red. First i started by removing my bushwackers and spraying on a product like bed liner called Gravy tex, to the lower, and bed caps so i could mask this off when we dipped the truck, now for some pictures

This was what my truck looked like before the transformation, your typical beloved 2500 6" lift w/ long arms, 37" toyo m/t's on hummer wheels sacked out rear leafs because of loads of fire wood, bushwhacker flares, homemade front bumper bar, aftermarket grill painted to match, homemade headache rack and tiregate, and smoked taillights, o and yes it has dents!

This is it after i took off the flares and the gravy tex was done

Here the headache rack is off and im applying the gravy tex to the bead rails, because i figure the plasti dip wouldn't like the movement of the rack and cause it to peel it was white unlike the bottom so i sprayed black over it

and after blacked out

Ok now time to pull her in and remove front bumper and mask. We didnt mask back glass and one taillight to see just how it peels. With plasti dip you could actually coat the entire car and peel what you don't wont covered like lights, trim, and glass. The reason for masking we figure less wasted product and fighting the peel, just unmask and go plus it doesnt peel very well off texture

Now the kit we got was the biggest came with 5 gallons of thinned product, and we took it easy applying light coasts to get it to be a flat end resault not textured, this was the very first coat

and after about 5 coats and a little over 1 gallon

here were 2 gallons deep

finally around 12 coats latter and 4 gallons we decided it was covered and had a good sheen and was flat, as in not textured looking

Unmasked, when we unmasked it anywhere we would needle out the gun and make a pass over the line to re-wet the dip allowing the tape to release leaving a clean line

Then we decided to dip the front bumper assembly with matte black for a true durability test. In the picture its wet thats why its shinny

And back on looking good

and this is an attempt to get the texture on camera

Thanks for looking, more pictures to follow have to wait 2 weeks before the dip meets it true full cure and most durable state to install fender flares back on and need to button up some stuff on the headache rack. Feel free to ask any questions i did this write up cause i didn't see any on the forum and like i said a true test! I live out in the country and have around a 3 mile dirt road drive to pavement every day and same after work, plus own a truck cause its a truck made to abuse to get the job done!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Pretty damn cool...will be interesting to see how it holds up to some work

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn't think about weight…but it's a cummins just turn up the programmer for more power👍 and stop at every fuel station… lol if I had to guess with all the product under 50 lbs

·
Registered
240 Posts
Subscribed for interest. I asked the dyc guys and they were very vague, as most salesmen are, about the durability and applications of the product.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Plastidip is great product. Even just the stuff that comes in a can is great for testing out ideas on blacking out certain trim pieces or wheels. If you don't like it, peel it off!

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
interested to see durability

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes the white helped they actually recommend putting down white before starting luckily my truck was already white and yes we sprayed right over the decal as you can notice its still transparent but covered evenly

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Headed into work today to finish peeling off the overspray and put On rear bumper and pull it outside to see how she looks in the light

Reactions: SlvrR

·
Registered
96 Posts
When you get a chance snap some pics of your rear tire carrier. It looks awesome just from the few peeks that show up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok here it is got the rear bumper back on and the truck outside

This is a shot with sunlight

And another with the sun behind a cloud

And a straight on shot, i blacked the entire front bumper assembly, except the big off road lights, as one then peeled the dip off of just the inside fog lights cause the other fog lights were hammered from mud and water.....lol.....need to replace them bad they dont even work anymore

I do have to say the matte really shows all the dents! Every spot weld on the bed sides on the inner structure has created dents from four wheelen and flexing the entire chassie...lol.....you really dont know how much white hides tell its no longer. I am very pleased with the end result now a full two weeks in the sun and I'll re install the flares, i really think they will finish the look. I also need to spray the bed in the gravy tex, the white sticks out like a sore thumb, re black out inner fender liners and i also need to clean up the wheels there also hammered from..... well..... a picture says a thousand words so here...... this picture was before it was up to the doors they sure do sink! Took 3 winches to pull me out stuck all day i have a video of the day ill list it below

Video Link just a mud day at a buddies.....very exspensive day long arms and front end rebuild after this day!
A day with Mud Boggs - YouTube

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When you get a chance snap some pics of your rear tire carrier. It looks awesome just from the few peeks that show up.
Here ya go its a work in progress still unfinished, started too many projects still need to mount gas can and close it in with expanded metal

Going to make a fold down work station cause i miss having tail gate to work on but love having spare tire mount, only a 35" tire on it right now but i originally made it to fit a 37" tire. I might have a picture of it with a 37" tire on it

·
Registered
96 Posts
Here ya go its a work in progress still unfinished, started too many projects still need to mount gas can and close it in with expanded metal

Going to make a fold down work station cause i miss having tail gate to work on but love having spare tire mount, only a 35" tire on it right now but i originally made it to fit a 37" tire. I might have a picture of it with a 37" tire on it
Yeah that was gonna be my next question, at first I thought it was one of the TireGate carriers but your custom one still looks good. I don't think it would look good on my long bed though, as it is my truck is already super long. :/

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Your truck looks great. When I get a project 1st gen I'm going to plasti dip it either camo tan or gunmetal grey. Plasti dip is a great product.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.