Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting
So I’m in the process of updating my steering linkage to the 2008+ style on my 06. I read there was a different pitman arm I needed so that is the pitman arm posted above. The updated style supposedly. I also just installed a new red head 4 bolt top gear box if that helps at all. This is as far as I can get the pitman arm on, I torqued it a series of 3 times @225 ftlbs to seat the arm on the tapered splines. My oldpitman Arm went on further and I’m just wondering if anyone’s else has ran into this issue or knows what I’m doing wrong. Thank you for any advice in advance!

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
No marks on paint ,Got big lock washer under nut ?
FWIW, I never use antisieze on fasteners that require critical torque otherwise throws torque off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You make a good point with no marks on the paint but I sure did give it everything I had to hit 225, not to question your experience by any means but in your travels have you ever installed one of these pitman arms and got it to seat fully?

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
Hard to tell but with my old eyes, splines are not fully engaged into arm , so one of the parts the dimensions are off.
Does Redhead box have bigger output shaft box in box ?
If stock size shaft, then Qc at Fiat could be FUBAR.
Where did pitman arm come from?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hard to tell but with my old eyes, splines are not fully engaged into arm , so one of the parts the dimensions are off.
Does Redhead box have bigger output shaft box in box ?
If stock size shaft, then Qc at Fiat could be FUBAR.
Where did pitman arm come from?
Agreed, that arm isn't fully seated. I've done an arm install before, and it's a pain, but that doesn't look right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts