Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Rockin' the Hoodstack
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone run PitBull tires on their daily driver?? I am wanting to put the PitBull Rockers on my truck but I drive over 2,000 miles a month to work and back alone and Im not sure about how the bias-ply will work out @ 75mph all the time.

·
Banned
2,615 Posts
you should post some pics of them :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I had a buddie who ran pit bulls for a daily driver and it drove like boggers. He has a 99 cummins. He said they kicked a$$ in the mud but once they got on the interstate they sucked pretty bad.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
I wouldnt expect them to last very long if you are driving that much on the highway.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I wouldnt expect them to last very long if you are driving that much on the highway.
My buddy barely made it to 10,000 miles on em :$:

·
Rockin' the Hoodstack
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that sux. I was hoping they would work out cause they look pretty mean. I have the Super Swamper SSR's right now and I have put 30,000 miles on them. All highway of course. But they worked out pretty good. Only complaint is that they were terrible when the roads were wet. Especially now with as little tread as they have left.

Here is a picture for you of the PitBull Rocker

·
Registered
861 Posts
these are an amazing tire in the rocks and pretty good in mud but not something you want as a daily driver. they ride like boggers on the highway. not a good road daily driver tire. they are awesome looking tho. if you are going for looks, and can deal with a bumpy and loud ride, go for it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
these are an amazing tire in the rocks and pretty good in mud but not something you want as a daily driver. they ride like boggers on the highway. not a good road daily driver tire. they are awesome looking tho. if you are going for looks, and can deal with a bumpy and loud ride, go for it.
:agree2: If u dont mind a bumpy ride and dont have a problem with spending :$: then i would say go for it. they do look pretty dang mean. Much better in person :thumbsup

·
Rockin' the Hoodstack
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going for looks for sure and I dont mind the noise at all. The ride is kind of important though. My other concern is that I really dont want to have to buy a new set after 10,000 miles. That would be ever 4 to 5 months for me so it would kind of be a pain in the butt. Does anyone have any other suggestions on a really mean looking tire that wont wear so quickly?? And one that every doesnt already have like the BFG's.

·
Rockin' the Hoodstack
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about in the sand, has anyone run the PitBulls in the sand at all??

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Dont know about the sand with the pitbulls..... but have you put some though into maybe some Toyo M/T's?

·
Rockin' the Hoodstack
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I dont like the way they look too much, I guess being a girl makes me a little too picky. I want something that everyone else down here doesnt already have and that one would qualify. I like the new BFG Mud Terrain KM2 but Im going to put 20" wheels with the new tires and they are rediculously expensive in a 20". I was really hoping to get some better feedback on the PitBulls. Is there any safety issue with running a bias-ply at high speeds all the time, or does not really make a difference with todays tires. If I wanna race someone on my way home from work one day, am I gonna have to worry about getting up to 120 mph if I go with the PitBulls??

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Nah theres not really a safety issue they just dont handle or ride as good as a street radial. Bias ply suck in the rain as well. I have heard nothing but good things bout the new BF Goodie Mud Terrains. But like you said they are a bit pricey. Four Wheeler mag had some good reviews on them tho.

·
Rockin' the Hoodstack
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, the other good thing about the BFG's is that I can get the free replacement warranty at discount tire. I cant get that on the PitBulls.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yes maam you got it. I was lookin at buyin a set in the next month or two from discount.

·
Rockin' the Hoodstack
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sweet! Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy the KM2's. Have you looked at how much they are in a 37x12.50R20 though?? They are $518.00 a piece. That hurts!! :$:I could buy PitBulls several times a year for that. I guess it all depens on what I want. There is only a seven dollar difference per tire to go from the 17" to the 20" in the PitBulls. Why does BFG have to be so stingy??

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
BFG is so dang stingy cause they have been around so long and make such a good performance tire. Yeah them 37's are no joke thats for sure :thud: :$: Well lemme know what you decide to go with. I like the pitbulls cause they are unique.... not many people have em. They are one bad a$$ lookin tire too. If you have the money and dont mind the ride then why not?! :lol3:

·
Rockin' the Hoodstack
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I guess that's true. My husband wants me to get the PitBulls really bad so I have a feeling hes probably going to talk me into them. They are by far my favorite as far as looks go and since they are fairly cheap I kinda figured if I get them and they totally blow well at least I didnt spend $500 a tire. Then I could just wear them down real quick since apparantly it isnt gonna take too long anyway and find a better tire. I will definately let you know what I decide and post the pics with them on when they come in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pittbulls

Another thing to consider is balancing a bias ply tire. I don't think they balance to well. This can contribute to wear on the steering parts and the dreaded "Death Wobble". The bias plys tires also expand in height as your speed increases, unlike the radials. At higher speeds, you have less tire patch on the road than at lower speeds.

I know they look awesome, a local 4x4 shop sells them for rock crawlers. I would suggest sticking with a radial tire for a better, smoother ride with the amount of miles your doing every month. If you only used the truck on a limited basis on weekends only, then you could get away with the bias plys. Just my $.02

·
Rockin' the Hoodstack
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I even had some problems with balalcing the SSR's so I would imagine it probably wont be much fun balalcing the rockers. The guys at discount already hate me when I bring my truck in. Im sure they will really hate the rockers. When I first bought my truck it had some worn out tiny little 215's on it and it did the death wobble real good. I had to replace the ball bearings and do some front end work. It was not fun to drive at all!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts