Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying my first diesel and it looks like I am going the way of a Dodge, I have found a 2005 5.9L that is a very nice unit but I have some advice from a mechanic that he says he has heard that, that year was trouble with piston cooling and I should stay away from 2005 and go to 2006 or newer...
Is this true or false is my question.
Thx

·
Registered
287 Posts
nothing wrong with an 05, ive never heard of piston cooling problems...
Heres one for ya , My oil squiter in #1 piston plugged up and seezed the rings and scored the cylender wall they are made of plastic look like a pen cARTRAGE BUT 1/2 THE SIZE. Now you herd of piston cooling problem:thud:

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
The BIG issue with the '05's are the (experimental) plastic intercoolers that have a tendancy to blow....the engine is the same as the '04.5+ and I've never heard of this being a problem either...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Heres one for ya , My oil squiter in #1 piston plugged up and seezed the rings and scored the cylender wall they are made of plastic look like a pen cARTRAGE BUT 1/2 THE SIZE. Now you herd of piston cooling problem:thud:

actually ive still never heard of an actual problem (cant call 1 squirter getting plugged a problem) in the last 5 years ive worked for dodge, and the past 3 years of of being a dodge cummins tech...

oh and another thing, the oil squirters have changed big time from your 01 to the common rail engines...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good then

Thanks for the quick replies and now I feel better as it helps to get words of experience from guys who know lots about the history of these units... much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
15,462 Posts
Oil contamination is the only way that happens. User errror, not a design problem.

The 05 610 engine is the most stable and powerful one Cummins has ever produced. From 05 thru 07.5 the engine was the same and very reliable in stock form. Start pushing the power and you are on your own.

FYI, only the early 05's had plastic intercoolers. Mid year they went back to metal end caps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts