Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a trailer tomorrow that is equipped with a pintol. Anyone have any experience with this type of hitch? This trailer will be used to haul a pop up cabover camper sometimes offroad.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Heavy duty, strong, rattle, clunk, used on heavy equipment trailers.

I do not like them rattle and clunk too much.

·
#2 Makes Her Spool
147 Posts
Ppintle hitches are good for a lot of things, but if its being used on road for the majority of its life, you'll get tired of the banging and clanging. I loved how easy they are to hook up (the hole is large) if the wife was involved she would be able to get it close and its usually good, saves a lot of arguing (before i had a backup cam). The other is a lot of articulation, but again, my .02 not worth it if its going to be on road a lot.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Trailers attached to Pintle hitches are usually heavier as well. So might be sickening lugging all that weight.

If it’s the pintle with 2 bolts through a c-channel type hitch you can switch it out for ball type easily.

·
Registered
17,457 Posts
I've pulled equipment trailers with pintle hitches all over the US. If you are braking and turning at the same time they "bump" the rear of the truck, which pushes it in the opposite direction of the turn, which can alarm you if you are caught off guard. After awhile you get used to the clunk and play though. You need a strong receiver (better than stock if the tongue weight is over 500 pounds) because a weight distribution hitch is not an option. As an off road hitch they can't be beat.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Agreed with GAmes. I towed a 7k wood chipper with a pintle, and it jerked me around more than the local Jamaican's restaurants famous jerked chicken

Reactions: edbecker8

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
Not sure how I've managed to pull so many trailers with pintle hooks for so many miles without any clunking or banging.

Granted, running a large tow ring (military size) in a regular size pintle hook will make noises when turning tight since there's not enough room for the tow ring to move freely.
Also, with a light pull trailer (not a semi trailer like all of us normally tow) like I pulled today, on uneven ground it'll make a racket. That's obviously because there's near zero tongue weight.
For normal use, I don't know how people manage to make them noisy.

I have converted almost all my bumper pull trailers to pintle style, much preferring the stronger, simpler setup.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just following up. Bought the trailer and while it is currently only about 1/3 of the weight it might eventually be the trailer towed smoothly and almost no bumping. So far so good.

Attachments

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I never had much for issues. In my younger days as gunner in the RCA we towed our light field guns with a pintle. I don't ever recall them tossing us around or being noisy. They were a correct fit and super easy to hitch up.

·
Registered
17,457 Posts
I don't ever recall them tossing us around or being noisy. They were a correct fit and super easy to hitch up.
There's the key, the fit. My pintle hitch is a double duty utilizing a 2 3/8 ball.

Attachments

Reactions: BrianF

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
There's the key, the fit. My pintle hitch is a double duty utilizing a 2 3/8 ball.
I'm guessing you meant 2-5/16", but either way, yes, a normal pintle hook is far nicer to tow with.
Comparing the shapes at the bottom explains why.

·
Registered
17,457 Posts
Correct, 2 5/16. Despite the downside the hitch was a good investment. Adjustable in height, and also has an attachment with a 2" ball.

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
Yep, I have one on the back of my 3500 like that, just in case. Never did get the 2-inch ball part since I despise anything with a 2-inch coupler.

Okay, I still have one HF trailer that I haven't converted yet. You'll never guess why that one doesn't get used.

·
Registered
17,457 Posts
I like getting assigned trailers with 2" couplers. Better mileage, less wear and tear on the truck.

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
I can certainly understand that.

To me, any coupler (for a trailer ball) is just more time consuming and less secure.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
28 years ago I started out using a pintle hitch on a 5 ton dump trailer. I graduated to a ball on a 7 ton, then to a GN on my 9 ton. I’d never go back to a pintle. Even one that fits well has a lot of play compared to a ball. You might not notice it with a real tractor but a pickup gets jerked around pretty well on secondary roads. It sticks with me because occasionally I tow a 6 ton chipper that uses a pintle because they’re easier to move on the job with a skidder.

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
Even one that fits well has a lot of play compared to a ball. You might not notice it with a real tractor but a pickup gets jerked around pretty well on secondary roads.
Oh well, it's not the first time I've been accused of being insensitive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts