Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Here to learn
1,438 Posts
I don't know about fuel economy, but the fifth wheel is easier to pull. I have pulled a gooseneck for years and I hate pulling any heavy bumper pull trailers now.

·
Registered
565 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
goose neck bc it distributes weight to the front of the truck where as the bumper pull all of the weight is on the a$$ end of the truck and plus if the bumper pull dont have enough tounge weight or if its loaded wrong its gonna sway all over the road and that is not fun

·
Registered
22 Posts
trailers

I don't know about fuel economy, but the fifth wheel is easier to pull. I have pulled a gooseneck for years and I hate pulling any heavy bumper pull trailers now.
both trailers pull from same spot so it comes down to weight of trailer and areodramcics . If you have a bumper trailer use a weight distributing hitch i use one on my 35 foot v nose and 7 snowmachines in it and it pulls no differnt then my goose neck:hyper::hyper::lol3::lol3:

·
Here to learn
1,438 Posts
both trailers pull from same spot so it comes down to weight of trailer and areodramcics . If you have a bumper trailer use a weight distributing hitch i use one on my 35 foot v nose and 7 snowmachines in it and it pulls no differnt then my goose neck:hyper::hyper::lol3::lol3:
HUH? A 5th wheel/GN pulls from the same spot as a bumper hitch? I thought a GN was just in front of the rear axle in the box of the truck and the bumper hitch is just that, hitched to the bumper. A pintle hitch and a bumper hitch pull from the same spot. I'm confused. Can you explain that to me?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
a pintle hitch is a bumper pull , it is a lot beater and stronger than ball as far as aerodynamics go if the goos neck or 5th wheel has the same shape and and height as the pintle or ball the 5th or gn will have less drag because of the distance between cab and trailer is shorter

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So which do you think would get better mileage. A pintle hitch 12k 16' box trailer or a 32' 7k fifth wheel. Noone seems to venture an educated guess.

·
Registered
838 Posts
well, if we're talking about camp trailors and both are equal weight, i'd say the bumper pull, just because of the fact it's lower than the 5er. the 5er will pull better imo. i've tugged both, the bumper pull was only 7k, and i got about 16 with my '99, and i got about 13-14 with my 13k fifth wheel. now i'm second guessing myself... :thud:

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
your going to do better mpg wise pulling 7k as compared to 12k reguardless what direction the sun is shinning from

·
Heck if I know
3,760 Posts
I dont know about the milage between those two trailers but I can tell you I pull an 18' enclosed dual axle trailer loaded about as heavy as I can get it because its my job trailer. You get alot more see saw from the bumper pull then you get with the gooseneck because the weight is pushing down on both front and rear suspension. Compared to the bumper pull which pushes down on the rear suspension and pulls up the front suspension making the front end lighter. And before someone says I dont have my trailer loaded right, I do because I put about 1k - 1.5k miles a week so I bought a hydraulic scale that I set the tongue on to let me know how much tongue weight I have and I have found for "MY" trailer 900lbs is the perfect weight. If I could have bought this trailer in a goseneck I would have because I get in some tight situations and the turning radius is alot better then the bumper pull. but it really depends on the application.

·
Registered
838 Posts
thats why i'm second guessing myself now

·
Heck if I know
3,760 Posts
thats why i'm second guessing myself now

ummmm not following you what are you second guessing yourself about???? I must be missing somthing. I read your other post and still dont get it :lol3:

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
not so the wind resistance has more effect than weight if the pintle pull is lower to the ground and not to boxy on front it will do better than 5th

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
^^^Maybe so but an airbag 5th wheel hitch is the way to go IMO. If you're pulling a 5ver you can always put a wing on the roof.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts