Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I amworkin on changing the pinion seal on the rear nd of my truck. The problem I am running into is that I can't seem to get the yoke off to get at the seal. I have removed the nut, and am using a puller tool to try and pull the yoke of, but have zero success. Has anyone ran into this problem? Anyone got any tips or tricks to try on it? Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
370 Posts
i had good luck with using some penetrating oil (NOT wd40) like kroil or pb blaster or marvel. let it sit for 10 mins or so, then load up your puller and rap firmly with a 4 lb hammer on the jack screw of the puller. dont hammer on the yoke itself, you could distort it. if you decide to use heat on the yoke, be careful and dont use very much at all. too much will soften the steel and may cause a failure later...
or you could pay someone else to do it!

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Hi all. I amworkin on changing the pinion seal on the rear nd of my truck. The problem I am running into is that I can't seem to get the yoke off to get at the seal. I have removed the nut, and am using a puller tool to try and pull the yoke of, but have zero success. Has anyone ran into this problem? Anyone got any tips or tricks to try on it? Thanks in advance guys
i was just gonna post something on here about this bc mine is leaking bad all of a sudden but now i know, any other tips? is seal hard to get out?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Locktite the nut when you put it back on or get a new one. I have had pinion nuts back off before when used more then once even with locktite.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used some S'OK penetrating oil and a puller and it worked out ok But it took about 3-4hrs to pull and put back together.

·
Registered
370 Posts
the tough part is pulling the yoke itself. the nut is usually loctited and once the "bond' of loctite is broken its no problem. the yoke, on the other hand, can be a real pain. there is usually some kind of sealant in the splined portion of the yoke and pinon shaft that makes a tight bond sometimes. sometimes it doesnt. i dont know what dodge is using but they are the brand that ive had the most trouble with, as far as hard to remove.
if you reinstall the yoke without sealant you may see a bit of an lube "weep" around the nut.
the seal itself is no problem, just make sure you install it straight and without distortion. im not 100% sure but i dont think you can put it in backwards...

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
A two jaw puller can make it really simple. Some parts places will rent it to you for cheap. And +1 on the pinion nut. It can cost you a rear end if it works loose. It will allow the pinion gear to travel inward, and especially in reverse. Good way to break gears. Just keep it in mind. It's very hard to overtorque those things, too. I would probably make a point of getting some loctite on the face of the nut, too.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
don't forget to check the diff vent first, before replacing the seal, 8 outa 10 times the vent is plugged, pressure builds and the seals start leaking. most times the vents are coverd in dirt, hose is missing, etc, etc. I always remove the hose, and vent. then check the tube going into the diff with a small screwdriver, then blow out the hose, then dissassemble the vent, re-assemble it and try blowing thru it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
all good tips for diff service!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts