Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leak from my front diff pinion seal. How hard is it to change and what are the steps that i need to follow to correctly change. I cant remember if i need to use a special tool or not. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
The problem when you remove the yokes retaining nut you'll loose the preload on the pinion bearing. They acheive this by putting a crush sleave in between the cap and bearing. When the nut is loosened then the sleave has to be replaced. Which means the diff has to come apart and then reset.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem when you remove the yokes retaining nut you'll loose the preload on the pinion bearing. They acheive this by putting a crush sleave in between the cap and bearing. When the nut is loosened then the sleave has to be replaced. Which means the diff has to come apart and then reset.
Thanks for the reply! Drain fluid and take the front diff cover off. Then i replace bearing and seal? Should be straight forward repair. Any torque spec's?

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Drain fluid and take the front diff cover off. Then i replace bearing and seal? Should be straight forward repair. Any torque spec's?
Well you'll need to have the cover off and no oil in the diff. But the pinion gear will have to come out to replace the sleave. Which means the diff should all come out so it will be easier to set up. I don't have a service manual for these axles but there was a thread I found were you can down load them. I tried but my laptop said there was a problem with the download so you can give it a try. Might have more luck then me.

·
Registered
99 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts