Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fill Diesel Only
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have my fith wheel. first one. Bumper pulls before. Well this one is longer as well. 28.5 as opposed to 23. Anyway, I installed my B&W hitch and put the pin as far forward as it can go. The trailer seems to take a long time to react to steering. or at least compared to the bumper pulls. Do you think this due to just being a longer trailer or should I move the pin back and would that make any difference?

·
Here to learn
1,440 Posts
Thats what gooseneck/5th wheel do. The pivot point is above the axle, not behind like on a bumper hitch. A pivot point on the truck is the axle, so a bumper hitch is actually turning twice as fast because of the 4' behind the truck axle. It's hard for me to explain, but watch a school bus turn a sharp right corner, and you'll see the rear bumper actually go to the left. The pin should be a couple inches in front of the axle. As long as you have good weight distribution, you are good to go. Hope this helps.....if not, i'm sure someone else will chime in.

EDIT: Yes the longer length will also react slower too.

·
Fill Diesel Only
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thats a good explaination. I guess what I should have asked is how much difference in manovering would it make to move the hitch back the 3 in. That would put it directly over the axle I think. Or maybe I should just use it like this and get used to the way it turns. It rides nice and I have enough room with the tailgate down to hook up. Even though it I have to be totally square. I make sure my wife is there to close it after I am under it. Freaks me out.

·
Registered
704 Posts
You probably already know this or have observed it but in case not just a heads up:

Another thing to be aware of is when turning a bumper pull will more closely track the tow vehicle wereas a gooseneck or a fifth wheel will track to the inside ("cut" the corner). If you are lucky you will only scuff a tire or jump a curb.

Good luck and have fun with your new trailer.

George

·
Here to learn
1,440 Posts
Thats a good explaination. I guess what I should have asked is how much difference in manovering would it make to move the hitch back the 3 in. That would put it directly over the axle I think. Or maybe I should just use it like this and get used to the way it turns. It rides nice and I have enough room with the tailgate down to hook up. Even though it I have to be totally square. I make sure my wife is there to close it after I am under it. Freaks me out.
It wouldn't make much of a difference if you moved it back right over the axle. That's actually worse handling-wise. I think once you get used to it, you will love the way it pulls. I have pulled a gooseneck for thousands of miles and now I hate pulling bumper trailers. Just remember to take wider turns and hammer down. If you are worried about your tailgate, take it off. Dad NEVER has his on. Or you can get one of these gates designed for 5th wheels trailers.

Truck fifth wheel center latch tailgates

1 - 6 of 6 Posts