Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the pillar tape, or vinyl wrap, what have you on my 14 Laramie Longhorn Limited CCSB is starting to get a little sun damge and is wrinkled up at the bottom of all 4 corners on all 4 doors. Removing it wouldn't be too big of a deal with the heat gun and goof off routine, but, I'm wondering if anyone has used a high quality gloss black vinyl to put back in it's place as opposed to the textured black from the factory. Or do they make pre cut gloss and I just havent stumbled upon it on eBay or Amazon yet (seen it for 08 and under and 19 for some reason not the 4th gen which I'm sure I just missed). Just think it'd look good with the shiny glass, it'd all match if that makes sense.

2,565 Posts
The 3rd Gens never had the B-pillars blacked out from the factory which makes them look awkard in light colors.

Over 10 years ago I brought my 3rd gen to a automotive vinyl place to black out the B-pillars.
I went with gloss black vinyl. It still looks great all this time later, although my truck is garaged.

I had removed the rubber strip between the doors and loosened the rubber strip below the windows.
They fully rolled down all 4 windows, popped out the window weather stripping, installed and wrapped the vinyl all around.
It took them no time at all, looks totally factory.

Plus lowered it, plus debadged, plus body color door handles, plus wheels, plus, plus... :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
I peeled mine off with a hair blow dryer. Didn’t want too get the paint too hot. Nice white paint underneath matches the rest of the truck. I don’t even notice it now without the faded tape. Nobody else notices either.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think the gloss black looks really nice with tinted windows, my truck is black and doesn’t have the matte pillar tape but when I tint the windows I’m going to see about having the pillars wrapped too

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
One of the first things I did to my truck when it was new was to peel that cheap looking crap off my truck, looks a thousand times better. It was a PITA to get all the adhesive off, and had I to do it over again, I would use one of those vinyl stripe eraser tools that you put in a drill and strip it off. I used one on an ex cop car to remove all the decals and it worked great without damaging the paint.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've used an eraser wheel at work taking logos off cranes that we sell at auction, still a little apprehensive but hey if it's getting covered back up it'll be ok lol. I like the way the gloss black looks, think that's the route I'm gonna go! Now to find time to actually do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts