Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im thinking of putting some gauges on the my 6.7. just that im undecided if i want to put a pilar pod or something else. what do yall think?

Reactions: ShaneKennett

·
Diesel Junkie
4,683 Posts
Gauges are an excellent investment , even if you don't add power mods.
I like the looks of mechanical pillar mounted gauges , but prefer the functionality of the Commander ,Attitude or similar digital gauge.
You can also get gauge pods that mount above the rear view mirror.

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
LIke TVT mentioned...first is, do you want analog or digital? How many do you want. I have both a triple pillar and a triple dash-top and I must say, the dash-top is pretty cool! The Pic is in my sig, btw.

·
Registered
764 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I have the overhead (a real PITA to mount and get to stay without using the mirror for support) and the dash top pod (also a bit of a PITA to mount) for the analog gauges and an Edge Insight for all of the stuff that analog gauges can't see. I think that analog gauges are a bit easier to read for things that move around quickly i.e. rail pressure, EGTs, etc - my small brain can't keep track of that stuff constantly changing on a digital readout.

Pillar mounted gauges are a little too racey looking for my blood.

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
I that analog gauges are a bit easier to read for things that move around quickly i.e. rail pressure, EGTs, etc - my small brain can't keep track of that stuff constantly changing on a digital readout.

Pillar mounted gauges are a little too racey looking for my blood.
Huh...I kinda liked the digital readout of the Quad Rail Press...makes me nervous seeing the DiPricol jumping around all the time.

As for the pillar being "ricey"...that they are, but I still love it :lol3:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just use my steering wheel for a little extra lift, maybe 10-15# of pull. I am leaning to pillar gauges, thinking the steering wheel should be able to take that small amount of pull. What do you think out there?

·
Premium Member
10,376 Posts
Gauges on the pillar ricey? Nah, nothing like a diesel with the gauges running up the pillar.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have the edge montior and by far like it better than having pillar gauges. Easier to read with one look and has alarms so you dont have to constantly look at them. I also dont want that much light on my pillar of my truck from the gauges. JMHO.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes i agree with the fact that pilar pods look a bit like your lookin for a race.
and the fact that there is quite a bit of light that the gauges put out has me leaning towards not installing them. i like the fact that everything in my truck is dark by this i mean all my current gauges are at their lowest setting and i like it that way.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
the gauges should tap into the dimmer switch and be toned down to match the dash lights.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I read in this thread that the overhead gauge pod install was a PIA. - I also found it not as easy as the directions make it sound.
The overhead gauge pod installs between the rear view mirror and the the overhead console. The pod attaches to the winshield with adhesive backed velcro. If you don't mind removing and reinstalling the drivers side windshield pillar cover and sunvisor then the overall install of the gauge pod is not difficult. The thing that caused me the most trouble (and bothered me the most) is I could not get the front of the pod to snug up against the headliner and the overhead console. Mine wanted to hang down about a quarter of an inch creating a seam. It did not affect the function of the gauges but it didn't look finished and at night the light from the gauges would shine through the seam.

To finally fix it I found a flat thin piece of stiff steel 1/4" wide & 2" long. Then I Loosened the bracket that holds the middle gauge and placed the steel in the bracket so that about 1/2" stuck out over the top of the pod above the middle gauge and retightened the bracket. When I put the pod in place I slipped the steel between the headliner and the overhead console (pushed & held it firmly against the console) then swung the pod against the windshield (and the waiting velcro).

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I wound up using a couple of large fender washers cut in half and some creatively drilled holes to effectively pinch the pod to the headliner so it all mounts as one unit, hardly uses the velcro now and doesn't rest on top of the mirror.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
In my opinion, the pillar gauges are much easier to install. I put overhead gauges on my buddies '05 and I had a heck of a time getting the pod to stay. I thought the way it mounted could have been a little better. I would put them on the pillar. Just my two cents though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well looks like im leaning toward the pilar pod but im still not sold on it. i know i want 3 gauges and i know i want them mechanical. i was lookinn at the interior of my truck and was wondering what the distance was from the pilar pod to the steering wheel. i have friends with duracraps and powerjokes and every once in a while the will smack their hand on the bottom gauge. this is not something im hoping to happen.

·
Lifetime Member
474 Posts
I have pretty big hands and I've never came close to hitting my gauges. I also never move my tilt, once I found a comfy spot, pretty much in the middle.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
pillar... all others are too much trouble for what they look like. There is also a steering wheel cover pod that goes where the hazard switch is.

·
Banned
513 Posts

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
I kind of like these: Im leaning towards the 3 gauge pillar. I want it on the pillar and now I can have the handle to haul my fat arse into the truck too! LOL
Science
If you are looking at DiPricols, Bryan at Diesel Power Products cant be beat. He is a vendor and has a CF discount. Give him a call, great guy.
2007.5-09 6.7L Dodge Cummins Gauge Packages - DiPricol Optix

1 - 20 of 22 Posts