Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay this is my first posting of pics so bare with me but..
I had an S&B box set up and was happy but couldn't leave well enough alone, wanted more whistle so I built a whistler style intake and my own creation to get cooler air to filter.
I used the factory elbow at the turbo minus the plastic vanes, a 5.5 inch metal pipe approx 8.5" long then the factory top elbow (5.5 to 4"OD) then the white piece is a PVC adaptor 4"IO to 4"OD. I had to because I had an S&B KF1035D filter here which had a 5"ID opening. RIght now IAT sensor is just tie strapped on the cooler side, see pic. and filter is bungee corded to keep it stable. The other pics are what I did with my 96 powerstroker before I wised up and got this truck. Using Rigid Shop Vac nozzles and 2" hose installed inlets between chrome bumper and white bumper trim, had to drill small holes and tie strap them in, you have to really get down and look to see how they're secured and your don't hardly even notice them. You can see reflection in chrome bumper of how they're attached at the top. I spaced them to still allow plenty of air flow around them to get to condensor. Tubes are neatly tie strapped together routed behind bumper and up pass side blowing large amounts of cool air into filter area, one towards front and one towards rear. Using a shop vac/blower to test you can really feel the air coming out hoses and thats probably less air than highway speeds would blow in. On the old Ford it dropped the towing temps over 100 degrees on the EGT's. Got a prefilter coming for it and I don't really believe water will travel that far up hose when driving in rain, never had issue with Ford set up. Oh and thru in pic of truck, son's 02 second gen in background.
What do ya'll think?

· SUPER MODERATOR
1,907 Posts
does whistle a fair bit don't it

· Registered
4,641 Posts
i understand the concept but not sure it will actualy make much of a difference. If the filter was kinda inclosed in some sort of a box and the hoses went into the box maybe. with that type of hose the friction loss, for lack of better words, is very high.

its a great idea and im not trying to bash u or ur truck at all just trying to give an outside look at it thats all.

· Registered
463 Posts
These setups are awesome, I'll try and get a vid of mine sometime too. Highly recommended to anyone looking at intakes. I get so much attention from bystanders when they hear that jet engine sound comin, lol.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats cool, I've seen that but if you noticed he has no filter, it's just an open huge pipe after the elbow, can't hardly drive it that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.