Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that threads regularly pop up on the best aftermarket intake for the 6.7 and the general opinion is the stock airbox does a great job. I know a lot of people have done the Home Depot mod or cut holes in their airbox. How about posting some pics of your modified stock airboxes? Also, how is it working? Better throttle response? More turbo noise? Give us some pics and reviews on your setup! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I did it and have not noticed anything. To me it seems that where the air box goes into the tube is the choke point ? Thinking about pulling the baffle out for fun. I will try and post some picks of what I did.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I did it and have not noticed anything. To me it seems that where the air box goes into the tube is the choke point ? Thinking about pulling the baffle out for fun. I will try and post some picks of what I did.
It only barely makes the turbo more audible. I did it the day I bought my truck hoping that it would be louder and all the other guys on here were wrong. They weren't!! But do it anyway, who cares.

·
Registered
217 Posts
i took the baffle out and didnt notice any difference of any kind preformance wise so I ended up putting the plastic baffle back in but took off the foam thats wrapped around it. the baffle is "designed" to direct flow into the turbo. figured it doesnt hurt to leave that in but i dont like the idea of the foam in there. there might be a VERY slight difference in the turbo noise but not one big enough to make a difference.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I don't have any pictures of my own air box, but here is one from the PSM website.

http://www.psmdiesel.com/air_07.5.php

I've seen an average of about 150* drop in EGT's with the kit installed. I've never had any snow/water ingestion problems.

I tow a 16K toy hauler. I've never had a problem with EGT's. With Dave's tuning I hardly get over 1200* so I would say the stock intake set-up is flowing more than sufficient air to meet the demands of towing.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder how much gain there would be from just cutting holes vs. running a pipe down. Basically, I'm wondering if running the pipe to the airbox is just picking up more dirt/dust. Has anyone cut holes in the front, back or sides of the airbox?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I wonder how much gain there would be from just cutting holes vs. running a pipe down. Basically, I'm wondering if running the pipe to the airbox is just picking up more dirt/dust. Has anyone cut holes in the front, back or sides of the airbox?
Don't know much about it as I've not done it, but it would seem that would induce hot air into the system that has just come thru the radiator. I would think that would be not desirable.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Don't know much about it as I've not done it, but it would seem that would induce hot air into the system that has just come thru the radiator. I would think that would be not desirable.
The air may be warmer however once the air goes through the turbo it is then forced through the intercooler so I don't see it making a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone else have any pics? I'm wondering if the intake hole in the airbox that is already there can be enlarged any???

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I finally got around to modifying my airbox. I just used a two inch hole saw to drill eight holes in the bottom of the airbox.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.