Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

· Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some folks wanted to see exactly where the tap was made. Wanted to get it to you because hopefully I'll get a new turbo next week, maybe...

Hope this helps.

· Registered
2,565 Posts
So my next silly question is - do they remove the turbo and disassemble it when they drill the hole or just drill it and not worry about where the metal flakes and dust from the drilling is going to end up? (My dealer made a HUGE stink about my drilling the ext manifold and potential turbo issues when I was in for the G30 recall which if memory serves me right didn't require them to raise the hood.)

I'm guessing they drill it on the truck otherwise they would clean it if they took it apart and you probably wouldn't had the issue reoccur as quickly.

· Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Judging from the shavings you can see below the port, I'd say they drilled it on the truck. If you look closely, you can see the shiny flecks underneath it - those are shavings.

· Registered
60 Posts
Talking about a joke - this was my exact question when I talked to my dealer. I can't believe that Cummins would actually let some monkey at a dealer drill into a turbo. Aside from the filings, what if the guy puts a 3" long drill and when it breaks through, it grinds some of the vain's of the turbo.

Something has to be done about this crap - both Cummins and Dodge are using our trucks as test beds at our own expense!

· ......................... .....
2,703 Posts
cummins is very specific about the training that the techs at the dodge dealers get. if you call cummins from the dealer to say warranty an injector, they ask you about 15000 questions, and if you give them an i dont know, or i didnt check that, they literally hand up on you.

now the problem is, the dodge dealers let anyone do the work, and have the certified tech punch his time card and call cummins

· Premium Member
1,406 Posts
I would think if they was much of a tech, they would have at least used an air hose to blow off the chips and at least look the part... I would have questions about all this work done!!!

· Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would have questions about all this work done!!!
Jeb, I agree, but I have questions (suspicions) about the whole procedure in general. Like I said in my other post, I only got 187 code free miles from the "cleaning" and the truck is in the shop again as I write this.

If there were any shavings left, I honestly hope they destroy(ed) the turbo and I finally get a new one. I think I'm due and I told my advisor so.

· Registered
802 Posts
Ford diesel tech here and they do not do that anymore have not replace a turbo on a FORD in a long time have to remove the turbo and dissemble and remove all carbon and rust from the veains in the trubo and control ring the only time we can replace it is if the acuator is stuck in the houseing

· Premium Member
1,406 Posts
IdleUp,

I figured that this was what the whole deal with all this emissions was going to be about on mine and wrote the warranty off long before mine was gone and just started doing what I figured would ge the truck running as it should. I wish I had the answer for you guys trying to stay with all this OEM emissions stuff, but I don't guys...

I for one also don't think what little emissions all the diesel motors running on the planet won't add up to anything that would make a difference either way. This crap with all the EPA stuff on these diesels now days and now faced with 5 dollar a gallon for diesel also, we have a really bad deal here in America right now and nothing honest about any of this mess...

· Registered
2,565 Posts
Here is the other side of what they're drilling into.

DISCLAIMER - DO NOT DISASSEMBLE A TURBO TO THIS LEVEL UNLESS YOU ARE REALLY COMFORTABLE WITH WHAT YOU'RE DOING OR HAVE A SPARE ON HAND OR ARE USING A SPARE.

I'm guessing that these are scrapers that are supposed to scrape the soot off of the nozzle as it moved back and forth, one is mounted to the bearing support and the other is on the outside of the nozzle.

The backside of a 'nozzle' that supposedly has about 5000 miles on it.

· Registered
613 Posts
Yeah,

The dealer is waiting on the cleaner to tap my turbo. That was 2 months ago. But when the call comes, they aint touching it.

Drilling a hole in a turbo....:lol3:

I have to many mods on mine to take it in.

Anyone know a cleaner that you can dump in the fuel tank that will help? I have a DPF kit on the way, and will prolly get K2's EGR Blocker. Ill do it after I install the goodies.:woot:

· Registered
417 Posts
Thanks for the picture Flattman! I can see that my turbo has been tapped. I have moved my service to Chapman Dodge. fyi

· Registered
268 Posts
ford replaces the turbo with sticking vains...dodge should do the same
I jinxed myself last week on here when I said I have not seen the P2262 code. Well it showed it's ugly head this weekend. I had my truck in for an oil change and a flash update and :thud: there was the code. The only nice thing is my mechanic says the cleaning doesn't do a darn thing so they just replace the turbos and don;t mess with cleaning. Any ideas on how to keep the new one clean when they put it in?

· Registered
268 Posts
of course dumping the EGR also means dumping the DPF and then that requires a programmer to clear the codes or the CEL will stay on. All in like 4,000 that I don;t have. :CRY:

· Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts
agreed, with enough heat from the exhaust the carbon should turn back into CO or CO2. Give it hell and keep the EGT's up.

· Registered
460 Posts
And the bottom line question still is--------- WHO is going to pay for this "cleaning service" After the warranty expires in 36 months? And How often will it be required? Every month? every two months? every six months?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.