Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I started to noticed for the first time some small puddles under the truck. It is orange in color, seems like coolant. Anyway I cannot find where it is coming from, only where it is collecting. It is too cold to crawl around under the truck right now, so I figured I would post up a pic or two and see if you guys could point me in the right direction.

Here is the main spot where it is pooling under the truck.

There you can see the residue from it.

Any idea on where its coming from, that dont involve me putting on every layer I own and playing in the snow?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Could be oil cooler, or that little silicon hose, but i think thats near the back of the block. Any thing you can see from uptop? How bout the waterpump?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From uptop there is a little bit of "spray" on the piping running from the 62 to the intercooler, but that is all I can see.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

That is from uptop. There is about 1/4 of that amount of "spray" on the hot pipe, very very minimal compared to the "spray" in the picture.

·
Registered
8,732 Posts
it looks like something is dripping on or near the fan and causing it to spray up on your pipe... everything good around the block? whats the coolant level doing? its gotta be coming from some where in front right there and there is only so many places it can come from....

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Coolant level is low, but ever since I have had the truck it has run on low. If I fill it anything over the bottom line on the tank it just pukes it out. I havent done anything to the truck for a few months now, so it seems odd that it would just all of a sudden start.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Several places come to mind that leak....

1. The little overflow tube at the top left of the radiator there by the cap - put a clamp on there and problem solved.

2. The orange/foil covered coolant bypass hose on the left side of the block, behind the turbo, under the ex. manifold - install new hose and spring clamps (PITA fix)

3. Water pump

I'm thinking this looks like water pump

·
Registered
389 Posts
I agree with the water pump but get a coolant pump and add some pressure and maybe you can locate It that way also test the cap at the same time, at least If it's the WP It's an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Several places come to mind that leak....

1. The little overflow tube at the top left of the radiator there by the cap - put a clamp on there and problem solved.

Have a clamp there already. I added that clamp in last time I was on the dyno when the overflow tube popped offf

2. The orange/foil covered coolant bypass hose on the left side of the block, behind the turbo, under the ex. manifold - install new hose and spring clamps (PITA fix)

Replaced the clamps when I did the compound turbo assembly. I dont think it is coming from there, but I have been wrong before.

3. Water pump

I am starting to agree.

I'm thinking this looks like water pump
In bold.

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
509 Posts
:agree2: call up the cummins shop and pick up a new water pump... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have noticed a puddle under my truck for a week now and it is dripping from the tranny inspection cover. I know this is a common problem but I need someone to walk me through where the leak is coming from. thanks for your time

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I have noticed a puddle under my truck for a week now and it is dripping from the tranny inspection cover. I know this is a common problem but I need someone to walk me through where the leak is coming from. thanks for your time
coolant bypass hose

Reactions: 5.9nut

·
Registered
14 Posts
thanks shorts:thumbsup:....i found it. For anyone else out there who is trying to find where it is coming from .....it helps to look from under the hood. passenger side back towards the firewall there is a piece of rubber hose connecting two pieces of metal pipe and the hose is covered in aluminum tape or something and it has 2 hose clamps on it. my hose clamps were loose causing the coolant leak. I looked forever from underneath the truck but you really have to look from the topside to see it.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
You're welcome - glad to help. I just changed mine out a couple weekends ago so its fresh in my mind. The coolant eventually drips off the bellhousing and it really made a mess on my tranny pan to the point I was thinking I had a bad gasket.

You should be able to snug the screws on the clamps to buy some time. But uou will eventually have to replace the hose and clamps though. This little leak really comes alive in the winter where the expansion and contraction of the pipes, hose and clamps is drastic due to the temperature ranges.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I agree, sounds like the same thing I was dealing with. Water pump was $70 from Napa a little over a month ago and fixed the problem.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally got around to pickin up a water pump. I went with the one from napa, but called around to other places and got a ton of different prices. Is there any difference between the water pump from nape, the dealer and the local mechanic? I mean, $70, $120 and $150 for a pump is a big difference in price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts