Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

141 - 160 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Performing a Drain & Fill on the Aisin AS69RC Transmission

I recently finished the transmission sump filter change and this is what I used to get to the 3 bolts behind the crossmember

1/4” drive with 1/4” flex extension and 10mm socket.
Started the bolts by hand with the flex extension to make sure no cross threading and then put the driver on it and the bolts zipped right in no problem

I was dreading the crossmember removal and came up with this solution

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys, i need some help.

I have a 2018 Ram 4500 6.7 cummins cabin chassis with 94k miles and Aisin transmission.
I am an idiot and somehow i miss understood when the transmission needs to be serviced...and i never changed the fluid nor the filter...this mechanic in town who works only on transmission and is very trusted in the trucking community here in west texas...said that if the transmission runs okay i should go ahead and change the fluid and filter and everything should be fine, well nothing is fine.
I got to it tonight, i just finished the job by the book, all the parts were from the dealership, i used only 7 quarts as for right now and i just started up the truck to see what’s up, the transmission makes a “grinding” sound, more like when you are sending something by hand and that sanding sound is continuous ...and also the check engine light Is on, i went through the gears amd that went fine but i didn’t move truck at all and instead i sat down and wrote this thread....

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Did you read this ENTIRE thread though?

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I recently finished the transmission sump filter change and this is what I used to get to the 3 bolts behind the crossmember

1/4” drive with 1/4” flex extension and 10mm socket.
Started the bolts by hand with the flex extension to make sure no cross threading and then put the driver on it and the bolts zipped right in no problem

I was dreading the crossmember removal and came up with this solution

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not sure if I would use the power driver, but in looking at the rear bolts when doing the drain and fill at 30K, I thought using a 1/4" socket and ratchet would be the best solution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just did my 60k service 2 weeks ago and I needed 9 1/2 quarts to fill it

·
Registered
242 Posts
Not sure if I would use the power driver, but in looking at the rear bolts when doing the drain and fill at 30K, I thought using a 1/4" socket and ratchet would be the best solution.

Power driver isn’t necessary but came in handy for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
There's no room on my 15. My guess would be production tolerances. We're only talking a 1/4 inch. I don't remove the crossmember. I loosen the tranny mount and raise the trans a couple of inches.
That's the conclusion I came to this weekend when I just did my filter change. Even the narrow part of a 1/4" drive extension doesn't fit between my pan and crossmember. I swung down the crossmember as it was only a few extra minutes work but gave great access and I wasn't sure how high I could safely raise the tranny/tcase. Maybe I'll try something different in 6 years when I do it again...

My 3309 came in 5L jugs. I added what looked like almost 8L and I'm right at the top of the Hot zone at operating temp. I also drained it at full operating temp.

Old fluid didn't look bad. Sludge magnets were pretty sludgy but everything else was clean so they're doing their job. I don't tow but I've been running at least a 100hp tune with 37s and 3.42s for the truck's whole life. Somehow the POS Aisin is still alive.

I got a CEL on startup, the CTS couldn't read it but cleared it just fine, as usual. I didn't have my Hypertech nearby (it seems to read everything) but I was expecting to get a low pressure warning so I didn't look into it further. I idled for a minute or so then put it in gear and everything was just great. No giant BANG or BAM or whatever Greg's old beater experienced.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Did this as well this past weekend. My 1/4 drive and extension had no problem fitting in. Just had to go in from the side of the pan and slide over the socket and extension. There is a dimple in the pan for the extension but not enough clearance to go straight at the bolt. I was dreading how to get to the bolts, I even bought those flexible extenders that were recommended earlier in the thread. It was a simple project. I drained at operating temp and added 7 quarts. Will check again next time I'm out but it was fine. Had a little issue when I started it back up. Banged into gear, check engine light for over voltage on my aux switch. Also on the dic said service 4wd and another message I didnt catch in time. Cleared all those with the cts and started it back up and it shifted fine and not more messages or CEL. Can't imagine paying a dealer $600 or more for this easy service.

Next time try sliding the socket and extension in from the side. Cant imagine everyone's trucks are different where some have to drop the cross member and some not. But who knows! I can take a picture if anyone is confused.. thanks everyone else for the pointers in this!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
665 Posts
I bought a used 18 3500. The dealer did have good maintenance records for the most part and the truck has been well maintained. I could not find anything on the 30k trans service. Called dealer and they could not see where it was done. Service writer said that the truck is not due unless used for heavy towing, police,etc. I looked in the book and I believe she was in error. Truck has almost 46k now. Should I just do the drain and fill or wait till 60k and do fluid and filter. What I'm thinking is doing fluid now and both at 60k to get maintenance schedule back on track. Is their any issues with the aisin not getting serviced at every 30k

·
Registered
703 Posts
:agree2:

Service writer was probably thinking about the 68RFE.

"What I'm thinking is doing fluid now and both at 60k to get maintenance schedule back on track."

That's what I would do.

·
Registered
665 Posts

Service writer was probably thinking about the 68RFE.

"What I'm thinking is doing fluid now and both at 60k to get maintenance schedule back on track."

That's what I would do.
I was able to get to the drain and fill today 46500 miles. Fluid did not look to bad. I put 7.5 of 3309 back into it. Took it for a spin and it is a little smother on shifting. When it hits 60k I will do both.

Reactions: Learjet

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been looking at 3500 Ram trucks for the last month- I just wrapped up the purchase of a truck bed camper that weighs about 3500 lbs. loaded.

I thought I found the perfect truck today, a 2015 3500 SRW short bed w 100,000 miles. Dealer had sold it new originally and had the service records, which looked good for oil changes. However, no service record on the Aisin. After pressing some, the salesman said he wasn't sure it had ever been serviced.

Should I walk away from this truck? Everything else about it says it is well maintained but the fact it is now 3 fluid changes behind is concerning. I have asked him to send me a pic of the fluid from the dipstick on a paper towel so I can get an idea of color. The truck is 7 and a half hours away so just running in for a test drive isn't an option right now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
If you want to be on the safe side, ask them to take a sample and have it analyzed.

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
A good lab would know what should and shouldn't show on the report, and would discuss it with you.
Obviously they'd have no track record of that particular trans, but have others on file to compare to.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
If you really want it, go to the dealer, put it on the lift and do the service. The pan has 2 flat magnets you can check as well as just looking at the bottom of the pan. I just did the 5th service on my Aisin and the fluid has always looked brand new. It could be that Aisin is just anal about fluid changes.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Or the previous owner saw what dealers charge (bend over) for this service and did it himself or went someplace else.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
849 Posts
If the fluid does not smell burnt or really dark brown or black, you should be fine.

What got me with all the talk over the years in this forum regarding the 48,000km partial change index was that it was geared toward the guy who runs max load all the time. It's a commercial transmission and they specced a change index for that use.

Most of us only use the truck to a fraction of its capacity and only for a fraction of the time.

I have noticed that even running well above max tow rating, the transmission temp has never exceeded the 80c mark. That's absolutely nothing when it comes to atf temp, that's not taxing in the least.

If you are going to test the atf, i suppose a good indication of wear would be oxidation and viscosity change.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I am trying to negotiate with them today, but haven't come together on a number yet. Man, this diesel market is insane right now, just not many trucks out there and all over retail asking prices. The fluid looked pretty good in the pic he sent, and the truck wasn't used for a lot of hauling or a ton of weight so I think it is ok. I also agree its possible he may have let the dealer change his oil, but said screw the $700 charge on the trans fluid.

It also comes with some BS Warranty Forever, or $395 off the price, so I am going to go with that. Just stinks bc it requires you to pay someone (doesn't have to be the dealer, just a retail operation) to change the oil and fluids. But I figure I can do that until I get to 150,000 miles at least, and hopefully I'll notice any issues by then. Thank you all for your input!

141 - 160 of 162 Posts