Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
FYI...my sticker on the transmission does not say anything about Mobile or 3309...maybe that was on the older trucks.

I bought the ASRC fluid by the gallon (2 gallons $37.90 ea. + shipping)) from Athens Dodge.
It’s there.....trust me.

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
guys...you are right....I looked at that sticker many times...but the way mine is installed low ...where the bottom ls right above the lip for the pan...i could not see the bottom line...I had to stick my cellphone in there and take a picture looking down. I stand corrected :(

Reactions: dillonjm

·
Registered
184 Posts
Is the Toyota ATF Type 4 also Mobil 3309 and good for this purpose?

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #125

·
Registered
184 Posts
it says it is equivalent to, sounds like a yes?

·
Registered
184 Posts
$16.63 for MOPAR at the dealership vs $6.30 for the Toyota ATF Type i-iv at the dealership. So unless you all tell me this is the wrong fluid, I’m off to save $10 per quart...

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Or you could buy the Aisin fluid from rockauto for $4.95 a quart.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Which is the same thing....

·
Registered
184 Posts
need it by Saturday but thanks though

·
Registered
184 Posts
Right?!?

Actually truck has only 14k miles, but 27 months. My schedule is pretty tight and I don’t see any open days in the next two months to get this done. But I will keep those sources in mind for 2021!

·
Registered
13,340 Posts
Mine has less miles on it than that, in about the same amount of time.
If I wanted to change the fluid, I'd order some and do it. But it still appears to be perfectly serviceable, so I won't change it anytime soon.

That doesn't mean I couldn't order the fluid today. Then, if one day I wake up with an irresistible urge to change it now, it'd be there ready to go in the trans.

Reactions: gsbrockman

·
Registered
53 Posts
I apologize in advance if this has already been covered. I read about 7 pages and gave up :) What about the AISIN ATF0T4 at Rockauto for $4.39 per QT? The reason I ask is if you click on the part number it states for Ram 3500 2011-2017, but the info states it is for OEM part #ASRC. I have a 2018 3500.......I know probably a dumb question, but I'd rather be an idiot now than put the wrong fluid in!

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
I apologize in advance if this has already been covered. I read about 7 pages and gave up :) What about the AISIN ATF0T4 at Rockauto for $4.39 per QT? The reason I ask is if you click on the part number it states for Ram 3500 2011-2017, but the info states it is for OEM part #ASRC. I have a 2018 3500.......I know probably a dumb question, but I'd rather be an idiot now than put the wrong fluid in!
The AS68RC transmission (only used in 3500, 4500, and 5500 Cab & Chassis trucks from 2007.5 through 2012) ran AS68RC fluid.

With the introduction of the improved and more robust AS69RC transmission in 2013 (used in Cab and Chassis trucks AND 3500 pickups) the name of the fluid was changed to simply ASRC fluid. Essentially......it is the same fluid, but is backwards compatible to 2007.5 The name was changed to eliminate any specificity of the older AS68RC fluid.

I order some stuff from Rock Auto.....just beware of some of their shipping charges, especially on heavier items like fluids. Sometimes all of the savings go away with the shipping. I have had great luck with a a few eBay and Amazon sellers purchasing cases of 12 quarts of the Mobil 3309 fluid.

·
Steers with the throttle
650 Posts
I've always used the Mobile ATF 3309. It's easy to order on Amazon. 6-7 quarts to re-fill, after each pan drain.

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #139 (Edited)
I recently changed the fluid and sump filter in the 2018 RAM 4500 Cab & Chassis. Since I’d never hacked apart one of the AS69RC transmission sump filters....I thought I’d go ahead and give it a try.

Not sure of the manufacturing process of this filter, but the case is tough and almost impossible to pry apart. I ended up using a thin cutoff wheel and just buzzed it in half. The filter media is really sandwiched in there as well.

Attached are a few pictures of said hacking.....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I've always used the Mobile ATF 3309. It's easy to order on Amazon. 6-7 quarts to re-fill, after each pan drain.
Yes, tab right on the Aisin states Mobile 3309, same oil just less expensive.

121 - 140 of 162 Posts