Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 152 Posts

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I take it the T4 and the language basically saying the same thing makes the Mobil acceptable? Sounds like the same stuff, actually.

Let us know if ole' red faulters in any way with the Mobil:).
I'll forward you an email I had with Allan at Mobil in just a few....TCDiesel and a few others have ran it without any issues. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Redline d4 says it meets the same spec in fact it names aisin as69rc on there website if you lookup by application and names the mobile 3309. That's what I used at my 30,000 mile change.

Reactions: gsbrockman

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Bumping this back up for others to see the savings potential....

05189966AB ASRC Trans Fluid List $14.20---my cost $11.76 (per quart..I bought 7....and I have a new, unopened quart at home just in case)
Bumping this back up for others to see the savings potential....

The ol' FedEx guy made another delivery today....

Ordered a case of Mobil 3309 ATF from Amazon for the ol' Radio Flyer. :party018:

I found a seller for $68.85 {shipped} for a 12 quart case....that's $5.74/quart.

As seen above, the ASRC fluid is $11.76/quart. The Mobil 3309 ATF saves me $6.02/quart, or a 51.2% savings. :shock:

I'm about 2k over my 30k drain & fill servicing.....I'll be doing it next week though. Heading to Attalla, AL bright & early Saturday morning for a travel trailer for a customer in Moundsville, WV.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Thanks for the write up.... I find all your information very educating !!! Especially since I do all my own maintenance when possible. It's nice to have a heads up into what I'm getting myself into.

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I take it the T4 and the language basically saying the same thing makes the Mobil acceptable? Sounds like the same stuff, actually.

Let us know if ole' red faulters in any way with the Mobil:).
Yesterday (Sunday) I performed another drain & fill on the ol' AISIN AS69RC. I had one quart of leftover ASRC (MOPAR) fluid, and then added the remaining fluid in the form of Mobil 3309.

Prior to dispensing the ASRC down the chute, I opened it along side the 3309. The 3309 looks, smells, and has the same consistency as the ASRC. I'll get to try it out soon as I have a 2010 Farmall 95 cab tractor to deliver to Lexington, NC later this week...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks for the up-date on the fluid. I just hit 30K and need to get this done. I like to do my own maintenance especially if I can save a nickel.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Based on the information from a quart bottle of ASRC fluid :

"Formulated as an exceptionally high performance lubricant for use in AS68RC and AS69RC slip-controlled lock-up automatic transmissions. Recommended for use in transmissions made by Aisin-Seiki requiring Type T-IV fluids. Refer to vehicle owner's manual for proper fluid requirements."

and based on info from Mobil's website regarding their 3309 fluid :

"Mobil ATF 3309 is an exceptionally high performance lubricant that meets original equipment manufacturers’ specifications for use in certain slip-controlled, lock-up automatic transmissions.

The unique formulation of Mobil ATF 3309 is recommended by ExxonMobil for use in transmissions requiring fluids of JWS 3309 or GM 9986195 quality levels. It is also recommended for service fill applications where Toyota T-IV (T4) or T-III (T3) are called for. Please refer to the owner’s manual for proper fluid requirements."

https://mobiloil.com/en/automatic-transmission-fluid/3309-atf

I'll most likely be running Mobil 3309 in my fast approaching 90k mile drain & fill.

I've been runnin Mobil for the last 200k in my 07. 270k on her now, and no issues at all. I also upped the service interval...20k fluid, 40k filter. My thoughts were fluid and filters are relatively cheap, and I tow every dang day. 16,500 empty, with me and a full tank of #2

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I've been runnin Mobil for the last 200k in my 07. 270k on her now, and no issues at all. I also upped the service interval...20k fluid, 40k filter. My thoughts were fluid and filters are relatively cheap, and I tow every dang day. 16,500 empty, with me and a full tank of #2
Nice!!! I appreciate the info and your stats.

Reactions: raygreg and CTD&TDI

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Nice!!! I appreciate the info and your stats.

Hey Greg, is the Mobil fluid working the same for you? Any changes in transmission operation with the Mobil fluid? I coming up on my FIRST drain and refill in my 2013. :hehe: Ken Irwin

Reactions: HorseMan-AR

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Hey Greg, is the Mobil fluid working the same for you? Any changes in transmission operation with the Mobil fluid? I coming up on my FIRST drain and refill in my 2013. :hehe: Ken Irwin
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Everything is just fine......no differences whatsoever, other than my wallet is a little fatter from the savings of using 3309 vs. ASRC fluid.

I'm at 129,363 miles as of this evening.....about 31k from my last service. It's time for another sump filter and pan gasket. I'll be gathering up my parts and hopefully get it knocked out in the next week or so.

Reactions: dieselwelder

·
Registered
376 Posts
No differences for me either in the last 30000 miles. My problem is self inflicted at the 60000 mIle service........don't ask but I boogered my threads beyond salvage. What is the next larger thread size for the trans pan plug? I am thinking it's 12mm so 14mm?? Any good source for new bolt and tap?

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Everything is just fine......no differences whatsoever, other than my wallet is a little fatter from the savings of using 3309 vs. ASRC fluid.

I'm at 129,363 miles as of this evening.....about 31k from my last service. It's time for another sump filter and pan gasket. I'll be gathering up my parts and hopefully get it knocked out in the next week or so.
I reused my pan gasket each time in my 07. Never had any leaks either.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just completed my 30K drain and fill service for my beast. Odometer was reading 30,217 when completed. The service is straight forward, and like others have stated I re-used the crush washer and the oil drain pan used for the engine is sufficient for this service.

Thanks again Greg for sharing your knowledge, and posting your experiences on this forum. I have learned a good bit just from reading your post. Cheers man!:beer:

·
Registered
282 Posts
May have missed it but what was the cel all about. Just did filter and fluid. Cel on now. Figuring this is a momentary lack of fluid when first started after the fill and will go out after a few key cycles??

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
More fun begins.....while I was brushing my teeth, I decided I'd run outside and start the truck. I came back outside, only to find the CEL on. :banghead: I decided I left something loose in regards to the CCV filter, so I'd check it when I got back.

I drop the truck into reverse......and there was a huge BAMMMMMMM just like someone rear-ended me at about 3--5 mph. :doh: I decide to turn the truck off, pull the code, and found I had a P0868---Transmission Fluid Pressure Low. The BAMMMMMM also happened when shifting into drive.....and back & forth.

I think to myself......now this is great.....probably an issue with the seating of the new transmission sump filter...but I was sure I had it in good. :confused013: I cleared the code, and the problem vanished.
Info is above....

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks, trans fluid pressure low. Got it, makes sense, no longer worried.

·
Registered
677 Posts
So I hit 29,700 today, called the dealer about getting my next service. Fuel filters plus an oil change ran me around $170 at 15k, so I figured the transmission service wouldn't be much. They quoted me $710 for the 30k!! Said it was due to the cost of the ATF. I'm thinking they quoted me for the full 24 quarts. How much does it actually take for the basic drain and fill? I have everything I need for my next service in my Amazon cart, just need to order it..

41 - 60 of 152 Posts