Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
My '14 RAM 3500 Crew Cab Tradesman 4x4 is at 33,445 miles and 621 drive hours as of today. The Aisin AS69RC requires a drain & fill at 30,000 miles. At 60,000 miles, the pan is dropped, the sump filter is replaced, and the fluid is replaced. At 90,000 miles, another drain & fill is performed. At 120,000 miles, the pan is dropped, the sump filter is replaced, and the fluid is replaced.....you get the idea on the future service intervals.

What you'll need :

• Large drainpan. If you change your own oil on your CTD, your engine oil drain pan will work great.
  • 19 mm six point socket & 3/8" ratchet.
  • Small funnel for adding the new transmission fluid.
  • 8 quarts of MOPAR ASRC transmission fluid (quart part number 05189966AB).
  • Shop towels or clean rags.
From a previous post :

My parts guy printed me out a list of capacities for the 2013 RAM 3500 trucks. Interestingly, the Aisin overhaul fill amount is 13.74 quarts. The overhaul fill on the 68RFE is 16.4--17.5 quarts. The service fill for the Aisin is 7.2 quarts (I bought 8 quarts). The service fill on the 68RFE was not listed, but I believe it was a little over 10.5 quarts for my 2007.5 RAM 3500.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-general-discussion/859602-aisin-oil-changes-every-30k-2.html#post9849554

I had been on about a 62 mile round trip running some errands today, so my transmission fluid was already at operating temperature. I prefer to change it at that temperature, as I'd expect best draining (same thing with my engine oil----I guess I'm a glutton for punishment). :rof I did verify the transmission fluid level prior to performing the drain & fill. It was about 3/4 of the way into the cross hatched area for "HOT" fluid (167*F).

Find a level area to perform the drain & fill. Slide your drainpan and yourself under the truck. Clean the transmission pan area around the drain plug. Using the 19 mm six point socket and 3/8" ratchet, loosen the drain plug. While removing the drain plug, keep in mind that the drain plug has a metal gasket. It's really easy for the metal gasket to separate from the drain plug.....and subsequently fall into a drain pan full of fluid. Don't ask me how I know..... :doh:

Plan on giving the transmission about 30 minutes to drain minimum. My observations were that very few drops came out after the 30 minute mark, but that's just a yardstick you can go by for planning purposes.

Clean off the transmission pan and re-install the drain plug with gasket. I do not know the intended torque of the drain plug bolt, but I'd guess no more than 10 to 15 ft lbs. Use common sense and you should be fine.

Using the small funnel, begin replacing the fluid. I let each bottle drain for a couple of minutes. This fluid seems relatively "thin" IMO. In between the first three bottles or so, I transferred the old fluid into gallon jugs. It appeared that the ~ 7 quart estimate was close to dead*nuts on.

I added seven quarts and took it for a test drive long enough to get the fluid to 163*F to 167*F (normal unloaded operating temperature). With the engine running, on level ground, in PARK, I found 7 quarts put the oil level to within 1/8 of an inch of the uppermost portion of the "HOT" mark. I plan on leaving it as is.....I'll re-check it tomorrow after I deliver a new 2014 GatorMade 40 ft gooseneck trailer to Arthur, IL. :thumbsup:

Poor picture of fluid level on dipstick prior to changing.

File pic of drain plug on pan.

Drain plug removed.

Drain plug and gasket.

Attachments

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
More random pics....

MOPAR ASRC Transmission Fluid.

Paper plate with a few drops of new & old fluid.

Pan cleaned & drain plug reinstalled.

New MOPAR ASRC Fluid going down the chute!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
More random pics....

New MOPAR ASRC Fluid going down the chute!!!!

Is your wife a gardener? I think I see Miscanthus Sinensis "Morning Light" in the background.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nice write up! I really think our next company truck is going to be a C&C w/aisin tranny. We leave ours stock, and just work em hard. Which oddly enough produces the best results. :confused013:

I hear pretty good things about it w/ the HO CTD. :thumbsup:

Reactions: gsbrockman

·
Registered
128 Posts
If one was going to replace the drain plug washer/gasket, where would you source it? I stopped by my local dealer to pick a few up and they looked at me like i was crazy. Which tells me they always reuse. Thats probably fine, but I like have stuff like that on hand.

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
If one was going to replace the drain plug washer/gasket, where would you source it? I stopped by my local dealer to pick a few up and they looked at me like i was crazy. Which tells me they always reuse. Thats probably fine, but I like have stuff like that on hand.
I'd imagine if they could pull up the pan on an exploded diagram, they should be able to see it then, and order accordingly. I feel these indeed are reusable though. In my days back at S&S Tire in Lexington, KY I remember some of the imports (Honda Accords come to mind) required a new "crush" gasket for the engine oil drain plug.

Worst case scenario.....take the old one to NAPA, CarQuest, KOI, etc and have them match it up. :thumbsup: I'd imagine they have them bulk by the boxes.

Ya' know that tranny is gonna' grenade, at any moment.

Why would you even put new fluid in that pile?
It's probably not even worthy of the fluid below....on the left :rof

Reactions: bcflyfisher

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Nice write-up as usual Greg.

We just did two of these two weeks ago--my '13 and my buddy's '14. I just clicked over 46K yesterday.

·
Registered
376 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yeah I agree. I have a 10 pack of Toyota washers for my old FJ60 that are identical. They were .99 a piece. They are either diff or oil drain washers. Wouldn't be hard to match the diameter of the fill bolt and get the cheapest crush washer you could find to match.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah I agree. I have a 10 pack of Toyota washers for my old FJ60 that are identical. They were .99 a piece. They are either diff or oil drain washers. Wouldn't be hard to match the diameter of the fill bolt and get the cheapest crush washer you could find to match.
Not as easy as you would think for something that big. Pretty much every place I went had to order.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I ordered the plug seal washer from Ram today. Part number 68085955AA.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Nice write up! I really think our next company truck is going to be a C&C w/aisin tranny. We leave ours stock, and just work em hard. Which oddly enough produces the best results. :confused013:

I hear pretty good things about it w/ the HO CTD. :thumbsup:
We never had a Ram (or Dodge) until I got my '06 in '08--all Fords except for one Chevy since I know of in '96. My '06 was watched--for fuel, maintenance, etc... and when I got my '13 my buddy chose a '14 similar to mine and then we got a 5500 C&C and put her in the fleet. I've not heard anything but positives about the 5500. She gets driven by a lot of different people (not so good for her) and is almost always loaded like this:

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
My '14 RAM 3500 Crew Cab Tradesman 4x4 is at 33,445 miles and 621 drive hours as of today. The Aisin AS69RC requires a drain & fill at 30,000 miles. At 60,000 miles, the pan is dropped, the sump filter is replaced, and the fluid is replaced. At 90,000 miles, another drain & fill is performed. At 120,000 miles, the pan is dropped, the sump filter is replaced, and the fluid is replaced.....you get the idea on the future service intervals.
As of Friday, The Radio Flyer is at 1,128 drive hours and 60,849 miles, so it will soon be time for the 60k Aisin transmission service (I'll probably do it around 63k to 65k based on the mileage of my first drain & fill).

Earlier in the week of January 19th, I called the parts manager (Tim Brooks) at Don Marshall Chrysler in Somerset, KY to make sure everything I needed would be there. He said he had everything....but he would also order replacement items in my name as a special order, so it would not risk the possibility of getting sold.

List of parts needed---and part numbers :

05189966AB ASRC Trans Fluid List $14.20---my cost $11.76 (per quart..I bought 7....and I have a new, unopened quart at home just in case)

68224232AA Sump Filter List $45.85---my cost $37.96

68214914AA Pan Gasket List $26.85---my cost $22.23

Seven quarts of fluid perfectly filled my 33k drain & fill (book said 7.2 quarts, so I rounded up to 8 quarts).

There was some doubt as to whether the transmission pan gasket would be reusable. Given the cost of the transmission fluid, the cost of the gasket, and the geography involved to my dealer (62 miles one way) I opted to purchase the transmission gasket anyway.

Based on TCDiesel's info provided in a separate thread, I'm not looking forward to dealing with those three or four bolts around the transmission crossmember. I'll get an early start in anticipation that it will be time consuming and hopefully find out it won't be as bad as I *think* it will be!!!

I'll continue to update this thread with additional pictures when the time, mileage, and weather allows me to perform this service. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Subscribed.... those pesky bolts. Getting them back in and started should be fun.... A couple of access holes in the crossmember would've been great Chrysler.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts