Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first tried B20 on the coast and noticed a quieter engine with smoother throttle response. It was $1.20 cheaper, but where I am, it's actually more expensive and only available at 1 station.

After replacing my actuator and seeing a drastic improvement in multiple aspects of performance, I went back and filled up with B20 again because I read it's better than putting additive in #2, and I wanted to do something after this thing is finally running as it should. (feel-good move or whatever, not my point).

I did notice it ran quieter but throatier. And is so much smoother than on standard #2.

So what do you think? Has anyone else noticed better performance? Or is it totally in my head?

STOCK. no tune, no delete.

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Almost everywhere I fill up, there is a tag on the pump stating that the fuel may be anywhere between B5 and B20, so who knows how many tankfuls of B20 has passed through the engine in 509.5K miles.

I've never noticed any appreciable difference in engine operation, not like the difference I notice between summer fuel and winter blends, which can make 1-2 MPG difference.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Same as noted above. Whether traveling locally or coast to coast, pretty much notice it on most pumps. Never noticed any difference one way or the other. :confused013:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Almost everywhere I fill up, there is a tag on the pump stating that the fuel may be anywhere between B5 and B20, so who knows how many tankfuls of B20 has passed through the engine in 509.5K miles.

I've never noticed any appreciable difference in engine operation, not like the difference I notice between summer fuel and winter blends, which can make 1-2 MPG difference.
Which one being better? Summer, I'm assuming.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Weird out here in Oregon anything that has biodiesel is labeled. Most of it is labeled up to B5. The B20 pumps are typically for specific stations and they are labeled B20. B20 is cheaper here then regular diesel.

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
Weird out here in Oregon anything that has biodiesel is labeled. Most of it is labeled up to B5. The B20 pumps are typically for specific stations and they are labeled B20. B20 is cheaper here then regular diesel.
Pumps are labeled, just not to a specific bio content.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Weird out here in Oregon anything that has biodiesel is labeled. Most of it is labeled up to B5. The B20 pumps are typically for specific stations and they are labeled B20. B20 is cheaper here than regular diesel.
Are you on the west side of the mountains? It's more expensive or the same in Bend. When I'm on that side, I always find B20 as it can be up to a $1 cheaper.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Weird out here in Oregon anything that has biodiesel is labeled. Most of it is labeled up to B5. The B20 pumps are typically for specific stations and they are labeled B20. B20 is cheaper here than regular diesel.
Are you on the west side of the mountains? It's more expensive or the same in Bend. When I'm on that side, I always find B20 as it can be up to a $1 cheaper.
hillsburito. I use gas buddy always finds the cheapest fuel. I’ve been to bend a few times there are locations to find cheaper b20. Diesel will likely go up in my area and down in yours with the new cap and trade bill they are trying to ram through without a voter vote.

I think it’s a sham and it will raise prices everywhere.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
The better quality biodiesels on the market at 50+ cetane, easier starts in winter and less diesel rattle especially in the old single injector event antiques and less smoke. Makes for cleaner engine internals also.

Stuff loves water, hydroscopic, sucks up and mixes with water like salt. Want the best water separator on your fuel system you can afford or expect rusted out rail pump, crossover tubes and injector internals.

Best fuel system and injector cleaner on the market.

How much the camel humping Russians and their Saudi buddies cut back on crude production will raise prices far more than cap and trade.

Keep killing off Venezuelan production, much higher crude reserves than the US, and your prices will go over $5 a gal retail pump and the Tex/Louisiana refineries will shut down. They're designed to run cheap sour high sulfur crude from Venezuela.

·
Registered
10,829 Posts
Ended up filling with B20 a while back (in AZ?) and while I didn't notice anything unusual from that fill up (generally run Howes anyway), after getting fuel in Utah, the engine was definitely noisier.
Time for some Howes again, although the risk for gelling has probably passed for the season.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts

I read somewhere on the 'net (so it must true, amirite?) that winter/summer blends as well as additives aren't mixed until the fuel is being loaded onto the tanker.

Do you know if that's true or not?

I've also read that diesel is winter blend all over the place because the rfinery doesn't know where it's going to eventually get delivered to.

Reason I ask is that I live in S Florida where there is absolutely no reason to have winter blended fuel. But I've had some people say we get it anyway.

I don't know what to believe.

And I'd like to to try some of that B20 when I get the chance. Maybe when I'm up in Michigan there might be some. They got ethanol plants all over the place up there. I wonder if it doesn't clean things up a little bit, like your actuator. Alcohol cleans things fairly well.

And I've also read that turbochargers and alcohol don't get along. Which is something I kinda doubt since there are so many turbocharged vehicles out there these days.

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
I read somewhere on the 'net (so it must true, amirite?) that winter/summer blends as well as additives aren't mixed until the fuel is being loaded onto the tanker.

Do you know if that's true or not?

I've also read that diesel is winter blend all over the place because the rfinery doesn't know where it's going to eventually get delivered to.

Reason I ask is that I live in S Florida where there is absolutely no reason to have winter blended fuel. But I've had some people say we get it anyway.

I don't know what to believe.

And I'd like to to try some of that B20 when I get the chance. Maybe when I'm up in Michigan there might be some. They got ethanol plants all over the place up there. I wonder if it doesn't clean things up a little bit, like your actuator. Alcohol cleans things fairly well.

And I've also read that turbochargers and alcohol don't get along. Which is something I kinda doubt since there are so many turbocharged vehicles out there these days.
No idea if florida gets winter blends as a matter of course or not, but wouldn't surprise me.

And, biodiesel isn't like methanol blended gas, like E85 or E15 or whatever, biodiesel isn't a methanol blend, biodiesel is made from the oils gleaned from plant base materials.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
On the way home I got a "Service DEF See Dealer" message.

Pretty common, I guess. I'll take it to the dealer when I get the chance. Should I watch out for anything in the meantime?

I hope I didn't make a 20,000 dollar mistake buying this truck.

I love the EPA. I really do. Such a useful organization.

My 2010 Harley came with catalytic converters. A 50 MPG vehicle and they're worried about pollution.

A diesel tractor over 24.4 HP requires emissions controls on it now. Won't idle under 1,100 RPM.

Such thoughtful people, the EPA..... They really have our best interests at heart, doncha know....

·
Registered
13,402 Posts
On the way home I got a "Service DEF See Dealer" message.

Pretty common, I guess. I'll take it to the dealer when I get the chance. Should I watch out for anything in the meantime?
I wouldn't take it to the dealer just yet, mine has popped that message a couple of times and it cleared itself after refilling the DEF tank.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I wouldn't take it to the dealer just yet, mine has popped that message a couple of times and it cleared itself after refilling the DEF tank.
My tank is half full. That's my concern.

Should I drain the tank (again) and refill it or just drive it?? I don't drive it enough and I don't use much DEF at all. I mean, hardly any. So I think it just sits there and goes bad.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
My tank is half full. That's my concern.

Should I drain the tank (again) and refill it or just drive it?? I don't drive it enough and I don't use much DEF at all. I mean, hardly any. So I think it just sits there and goes bad.
I would siphon it out and then add a fresh jug but just one don't add 2.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts