Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Performance upgrades

1072 Views 15 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  ButterDiesel
I am seriously considering getting the edge juice w/ attitude tuner for my 99 truck. You guys have a lot of experience w/ chips and tuners. I would certainly like to hear your personal experiences usinr these types of products. Thanks
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Got P7100?
6,493 Posts
The juice is a great reliable box, but expect to have to get a better lift pump if you dont already have one, and start saving for a clutch or tranny.

· Registered
1,419 Posts
the juice is a good product, but for the money and what you get the adrenaline will add more power than the juice, while giving you the ability to custom tune it. you should look into a lift pump first, and a tranny to be able to hold the power.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of lift pump and what kind of auto trans do you recommend? I want to keep this truck because it tows my 24' fishing boat like a dream! I have heard that there are lift pumps for the tank and lift pumps near the fuel filter as far as replacement pumps go, what works the best? I have also heard that the magic mileage number for the stock pump is close to 175000 miles and when it goes the injection pump will burn itself up trying to supply fuel all the way from the tank. I don't want to throw money at the truck, just keep it dependable and strong.

· Got P7100?
6,493 Posts
There are a few cheaper routes, but the most reliable would be to get a Air dog or fass system. They have filters built in and a lifetime warranty. the air dog is on sale right now for $500. If the stock lift pump does die, the vp44 will go shortly after. A fuel pressure gauge is also a good idea if you dont get a box that has the gauges built in. (juice has a fp sending unit and you can get it for the adr. as well)

As for trannies, if yours is in good shape now a good torque convertor and valve body upgrade will likely hold any programmer/box you put on it just fine.

· Premium Member
696 Posts
That 'magic mileage #' is a load of crap. My OE lift pump went out around 75,000 miles. The sooner you get a new lift pump the better. I have an Airdog and love it.

· Registered
1,654 Posts
after you get an airdog and tranny work (torque converter and valve body at least) get a juice w/ attitude or quadzilla adrenaline. You will not regret it. Or you can be stupid like me and run the juice/attitude and smarty on a stock tranny with the exception of a valve body.

· Registered
1,419 Posts
after you get an airdog and tranny work (torque converter and valve body) get a juice w/ attitude or quadzilla adrenaline. You will not regret it. Or you can be stupid like me and run the juice/attitude and smarty on a stock tranny with the exception of a valve body.
:ditto: my problem is i just dont know when to stop modding the truck

· Registered
157 Posts
Ijust did a raptor 100 on my 02. real nice kit, great instructions and all the fittings and hose came with it. simple install other than pulling the tank fitting loose. and real quite. came from rollen smoke diesel and shipped fast

· Registered
1,207 Posts
I have done about 6 raptor 150s and love them simple install like said above, but if you think you need all the fancy filters and stuff get the airdog over the fass

· Registered
185 Posts
ive got a good setup im trying to sell works great with out haveing to do a lift pump and mess with the tranny and blow crap loads of money to pull your boat i tow 25,000 gooseneck 24/7 with my stuff its a bullydog outlook monitor with power enhancement and hypertech stage 3 prgrammer i run them stacked and have tons of power and even some black smoke to go along with it i piad $867 for them both i wanna sell for $675 shipped less than 6 months old let me know if interested

· Registered
1,419 Posts
you still have to have the lift pump, dont go spreading false info. You should have one on a stock truck anyways. I dont know how you have not gone through vps and a tranny yet.

· Registered
185 Posts
well my truck hasnt give me any issues im ive still got 22psi of FP at idle and 18 WOT. my other truck with the juice is the same way. im not trying to spread false info. just saying that ive never had any issues and the tranny has been fiathfull from day one the other truck has 230,xxx on stock tranny wiht the edge juice no problems if it sounded like i was sayin that you guys dont know what your talking about..thats not what i was sayin

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys. I will have to mull this over and come up w/ a plan. Do you think the best approach would be to go to the dealer for the lift pump? I don't know of any shops in MD that do this type of work other than the dealers.

· Premium Member
696 Posts
Hell no don't go to a dealer! Check out the yellow pages at least for any speed shops in your area. If none of them can do it, I'd start looking at big truck dealerships. Usually the guys in the service or parts dept will be diesel junkies and can point you in the right direction. Go to the Maryland chapter of this forum and ask about shops in your area. LP's really are a simple install; even a little mechanical knowledge will get you threw.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.