Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2009 3500 automatic with 45k miles and looking to do a few upgrades to it.keep in mind im new to the cummins world and i will starting to pull as a hotshot driver in the near future.it already has dpf and egr delete,h&s mm,banks hi rise intake,and 5 inch exhaust.here are a few questions i have:
1.i want to upgrade my turbo.i read about a s472/80/.90 but shen i look it up i cant find anything.what brand is it and is it better that the silver bullet 66??
2.can i stack a mp8 with the h&s??
3.what size injectors do yall recommend?
4.what is a cp3 and should i upgrade it as well??
5.what other upgrades do yLl recommend??
P.s. ide like as much hp as possible and still get decent mpg and be able to pull loads.ide like to see 700 hp if possible.

·
Registered
14,542 Posts
What do you do with your truck? Do you use it as a truck and tow often? You may want to stick with a 66 if you do. You may also want to look into studs. 66 and 100s would be a good start. Almost forgot, you might want to look into a trans or clutch before you do any of this. Didnt see that anywhere in your mod list.

·
Registered
207 Posts
1.) 472/80/.90 is the size of the turbo, different companies will make them. Fleece for example... I like my silver bullet (66/74/14) a lot, and don't have any complaints. I have been contemplating something different out of curiosity.

2.)Yes, you can stack mp8 and h&s, but with your hp goals you would be better off going mcc or efi live for custom tuning and to get the rail pressure the mp8 is used for. MCC would be better since you already have the MM and can get trans tuning from them also.

3.) Not sure...

4.)Your cp3 is the fuel pump that feeds your injectors, also known as an injection pump. You will need one of those for your hp goals, as well as a lift pump like a FASS to keep your cp3 fed.

5.)An upgraded tranny with some trans tuning would also be in order, along with head studs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be pulling loads with the truck on a daily basis in a few months.what kind of tranny do you guys recommend?i did forget about the head studs they are gunna be a must do.someone told me hs has a tranny tune that kicks the torque converter in pretty dang beastly in ever gear.is that a good tune or should i switch to efi??

·
Registered
228 Posts
Where are you located ? I am in east Texas . I hotshot with my trucks . 700 hp is a bit much for what you want to do with your truck and still be reliable. 400 or 500 will be alot better.

·
Diesel Filled Veins!
5,376 Posts
You're gonna need more that H&S overdrive tranny tuning to hold any decent amounts of power. Aftermarket tranny is key to holding power RELIABLY! I have the ATS tranny with co-pilot and it's served me well. If you really want the ultimate tranny then Suncoast is your best bet and they'll have your TCM tuned accordingly which will make H&S Tranny tuning not required. Even with ATS the H&S tranny tuning is not needed. Also consider Revmax for a nice tranny. Any of those three will sell you a great quality tranny.

Not sure if you're doing this build in stages or all at once, but if it's in stages then I'd go Tranny, Head Studs, EFI Live, if you need more power then bring on the fuel and air upgrades but do those first three together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.