Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, long time lurker and first post in a while. I recently picked up a 2012 2500 Cummins with only 45k miles. Fully stock. A little beat on the body due to its previous owner, but seems likely a good truck moving forward.

I’ve driven it about 1k mikes so far. I don’t trust dealers so I changed the oil, filter, air filter, and fuel filter right off the bat even though they said it was all done already.

Regardless, I was getting on it a little the other day and the perform service light came on. No MIL. All the research I’ve done says that normally comes on around 67.5k miles +/- 10k, but I’m over 20k miles before. I thought maybe it goes off of hours too, but it was a random number (2022 hrs).

Should I replace the CCV and clean EGR at the specified time? CCV and EGR clean now (more time than I really want to put it to it right now).

Should I be worried? Why so early, are there sensors monitoring performance?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
How many idle hours on the cluster display?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many idle hours on the cluster display?
I’m not sure if it is because it’s an ST, but it doesn’t break down the idle hours. However, based off of the mileage divided by hours the average speed is around 23mph. I’d say it’s done a good bit of idling.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You could just clear it or change it out now and then again at 100k. Wouldnt hurt to change it since that thing has such low miles. That filter is 8-9 years old.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a 2011 2500 , I have 60000 miles on it . I have replaced my ccv twice. First was about 25000 miles , but the perform service light came on both times. Next time need to do it , I'm going to gut it and be done forever

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you guys think about the EGR and cooler? Should I take the time to clean it or just wait for the next time?

·
Go Packers
6,014 Posts
At 66,596 miles, I had the EGR valve & cooler cleaned along with replacing the ccv filter. At approx. 67,350 miles I got the Perform service message. I reset it.

My 2012 is a SLT and only had total engine hours, no idle time hours on the EVIC.

The owners manual for my '12 states that at 67,500 miles the EGR valve & cooler cleaning is required as well as changing the CCV filter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts