Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm having an issue with a pump that I sent over to Pensacola Fuel Injection twice, now the 3rd time, that is causing my truck to shake in idle and when in gear.

When I sent it to them the first time it had the shaking issue and I figured a rebuild would do the trick. I asked them to please install a Denny T pin and a 3200 spring since they were going to tear it down and they helped me out and did it at no additional charge.

I received it the first time and ran into the same shaking issue. I called them and they asked me to send it over. They reworked some parts because the pump arrived damaged thanks to the USPS. Charged me and additional $150 to replace the broken parts, put it on the test stand and it all checked out.

My tech finally made it back home after a few months of working up north and swapped out the pump. To out total disappointment the pump ended up doing the exact same thing.

I spoke to David at PFI and he instructed me to send it over to run some tests on it. They received it on Friday and were suppose to perform those tests today. I might get a phone call tomorrow but in the meantime was wondering if any of you can help diagnose the problem. I took a video clip and uploaded it to youtube here:

1992 5.9 cummins with a rebuilt VE pump shaking in idle and when in gear. - YouTube

Could it be that this pump is a lemon? Is it possible that the pin and gov spring are causing the issue?

BTW we checked all the lines for air and everything checks out fine. We also put on another pump off of my tech's truck and it works great.

Lastly, This rebuilt pump was not the original one. I purchased it from Orilleys and the warranty ran out so I wasn't able to swap it out so that's why I decided to have it rebuilt.

Any help figuring out this nightmare would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
6,673 Posts
Almost sound's like you have air in the Lines or a Dead injector ?Hard to tell without being next to truck .

· Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what you mean. The funny part is that my tech's pump works just fine. The injectors are also new.

Maybe it's something with the internal distribution of the pump that's making it seems like a dead injector or air? Any idea what could be going on inside?

· 1ST GEN
11,526 Posts
Pensacola does not have a good track record.

With engine running crack the injection lines open one at a time. When you find the miss swap that injector to another cylinder. If the miss stays on the same cylinder the pump still has a problem.

Reactions: simplysmn

· Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pensacola does not have a good track record.

With engine running crack the injection lines open one at a time. When you find the miss swap that injector to another cylinder. If the miss stays on the same cylinder the pump still has a problem.
We did this when bleeding the lines but there was no miss. I'm 99.99% sure that it's that darn pump! I just don't know what Pensacola is neglecting?

· Registered
230 Posts
Sounds like the a delivery valve is clogged or something. Are all of the injectors getting fuel when you bleed them? And not just a dribble... Like the 400+bar it should be getting.

· Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like the a delivery valve is clogged or something. Are all of the injectors getting fuel when you bleed them? And not just a dribble... Like the 400+bar it should be getting.

They all sprayed plenty of fuel. I'm guessing the 400+ is determined with a gauge?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
230 Posts
Not too sure. I'm guessing it would be done on the bench.

· Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I contacted Pensacola today and they hadn't updated me with any info. I'll ask them what was the psi output for the lines.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm posting the update just incase this very rare issue occurs to anybody else in the future. So it turns out that the faulty pump that was originally purchased at Orielly's was a total POS since day one. After 3 rebuild attempts there was no solution so I took an original BOSCH pump and had it rebuilt, installed and it works like it should. Plenty of power and the shake is history!

So long story short this pump had issues beyond a rebuild that the guys at Pensacola couldn't figure out. In the end make sure you go with a BOSCH and save yourself the time, money and headaches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.