Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:ah:

Well i went to a PDQ performace shop in standford fl. to get my truck dynoed. first off what a Sh!t show!!!!!!! they couldn't get me in on time, no biggy. then we hooked it up, they threw a guy in the driver seat to dyno, i told him about my edge and how it will defuel once u reach certain levels. and asked if they wanted me to do it since i know what to look for. they said no, but had the guy get out because he has never dynoed a diesel.

another guy got in and went through the gears, next thing i know it smells like burnt rubber and my truck was pegged at 3500rpms!!!!!

so after seeing this i proceed to tell him my truck redlines and 3200rpms. then i go to the other side of the truck and see that it shifted and my tire was rubbing on the side of the mount for the rollers. no hole in tires, but side wall worn some.

well it dynoed at 313hp and 538tq. hmmm kinda low:CRY:

i reset the truck and the guy jumped back in, i told him about the red line and he said yes he knew, because it defueled at 3,000 and lost all power. duh!

again 3500 and held it there?!?!?! i about lost it. still 312 and 539.

i told him again and he assured me he knew it. and then 1 last time 3500 and held it there.

what was this guy thinking? i then talked to another guy from there, didn't want to go to jail haha. by continuing with this idiot. his coworker(the diesel tech) said that no no thats pefectly normal, then told me that 312 is just about right for my mods and that a stock truck like mine is only 250, and my head gasket can take 60psi all day long from the turbo. hmm werid but maybe. still don't agree with the 3500rpm. or the 60. or the 250....

so on my way home i was looking at the print out, well the dyno was set up with a 95 stang with a 302 and 3700lbs wet. so i proceeded to call them back and raise hell. he wantd me to come back and show him the sheets, and if they weren't mine he'd dyno me again. i was 15 miles out from bumper to bumper traffic, no way. i'm not gonna have a guy beat on my truck again, so after a little persuasion he gave me my money back.

it was a mustang dyno? and the guy told me it takes into account the air temp, humidity, vehicle weight and so on. so maybe this is why i got only 313. oh ya and maybe because my turbo never spooled up. it only had time for maybe 9psi before it hit 3500.

i'm so heated right now, today was a complete waste, 5 hrs on a road and a crap load of diesel. i hope nothing was done to the valve train:$:

sorry for the long post i just want people to know what they are gettin into if they go to this shop

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I wouldn't let somebody else dyno my truck, way too easy to overtemp the exhaust. I've never known a dyno operator who wouldn't let the owner do it.

It sounds strongly like the dyno was set up wrong and not putting enough load on the truck. Which points to inexperienced dyno operators.

60 PSI on stock headgasket, hmm, no... 312 hp and 539 ft lbs with a programmer and supporting mods, umm, definitely no...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Holy crap I would have been pissed too. Good thing you got your money back, but still the wear and tear and the fuel expense really sucks. I would spread negative words about that shop if I were you.

·
Banned
393 Posts
I would call them back, and ask where you could Dyno your truck that actually knew what the he11 they were doing, just to get a rise...but make it sound legit...lol

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, see this is my first time being at a dyno, so i don't know how it all works, but i thought most people drove there own. i should have known when i watched the mustang on the rolers and he let er rip to about 90 and then put it in neutral and used the rear breaks to slow the rolers, talk about smoke. the more and more i think about it the more and more i get upset.

bowz

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
Wow...the things they told you are wrong on so many levels that I dont' know if I should even say anything! I will say, though, it's a Mustang and should have been loadign the truck so you should have seen full boost and closer to 400hp...

As for others dynoing your truck...IDK..the first time I dyno'd the dyno operator did it but that's how ALL the trucks were being done so, i didn't know.. Second time I dyno'd I got to run the truck....

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, i think it loaded the truck like it was a 3700lb mustang. max hp and tq were both at 2800.......

bowz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts