Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just recently did a fummins swap, everything is going pretty smooth just tightening up loose ends here and there. One of them is my pcv. There is currently no hose on it and it’s makin a mess. I realize the hose would fix that problem but would only create another by dripping it straight on the ground. A catch can would be a simple fix however.. I was wondering if I could route it to my vacuum pump? I don’t use my vacuum pump.. at all. It’s currently blocked off. The f250 has an electric pump about the size of a computer mouse that makes enough vacuum for the entire truck. I have no idea what the inner workings of the vacuum pump are like. Would a little extra oil hurt?

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
That wouldn’t really work. The vacuum pump exhausts into the engines crankcase .
So you’d be routing the crankcase vent , back to the crankcase.

Probably best to pull the vanes out of the vacuum pump in your case since you’re not using it.

Route the CCV to a catch can if you’re concerned about dripping oil on the ground.

·
Super Moderator
21,757 Posts
Could put valve cover breathers on and then cap off the tappet cover breather.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah 10-4 eventually I’d like to delete the pump completely but ran out of time n money.

·
Premium Member
5,153 Posts
Why is the draft tube making a mess?

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
AKA , you have some blow by .

Somewhat normal ,, unless its excessive , then your shiats worn out .

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AKA , you have some blow by .

Somewhat normal ,, unless its excessive , then your shiats worn out .
Right I’ve thought of that. This is my first 12v so I’m not sure What is normal. Right now there is no tube coming off the vent so it’s just kind of accumulating on my oil pan... I might also have a rear main seal leak. So until I isolate the pcv ie Put a tube on it, I won’t really know which is which. I checked blow by a while ago with the oil fill cap method it wasn’t bad at all.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Right I’ve thought of that. This is my first 12v so I’m not sure What is normal. Right now there is no tube coming off the vent so it’s just kind of accumulating on my oil pan... I might also have a rear main seal leak. So until I isolate the pcv ie Put a tube on it, I won’t really know which is which. I checked blow by a while ago with the oil fill cap method it wasn’t bad at all.
There is another more accurate method of measuring blow by to determine engine condition. Search this site for manometer blow by test. Its pretty easy to do and the manometer / fittings can be made from stuff available at lowes/ home depot/ tractor supply.

See the thread below (page #2, post #38) for pictures of the homemade manometer blow by setup I made . Its not fancy, but its cheap and it works.

Reactions: 24hrsparkey

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Unscientific :
Normal to Me , is barely visible vapor at idle and 2-3 drips parked after a drive from the long OEM slobber tube . The engine aint new but normal .
Remember boost and RPM increases blow by , especially boost .
Not implying your engine is worn out , just giving a non scientific idea of what normal seems like.

Conversely , the 01 i had was a good bit More than normal with medium heavy vapor coming out all the time . Still ran ok though .

good luck sir

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: so good news, turns out all the oil I was seeing was from a bad oil plug seal! Gotta break this time. Before I figured that out I isolated the pcv by buying a 5/8 heater hose connecting it to the pcv on one and and a regular Dasani water bottle that I poked a bunch of holes in the top (very technical) to act as a temp catch can. I put about 1000 miles on the truck and checked the catch can, saw a very negligible amount of oil in the tube like not even a measurable amount.
With that said I don’t feel a manometer test is appropriate. I got a new plug and seal and all my oil problems are gone!

·
Registered
18,427 Posts
turns out all the oil I was seeing was from a bad oil plug seal! ................ I got a new plug and seal and all my oil problems are gone!
Where is the plug located?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where is the plug located?
Sry thought I mentioned. It was the plug for the oil pan. So every time I drove it it was just covering the bottom of my pan and trans in oil. I mistakenly thought the oil was coming from my pcv orifice

·
Registered
18,427 Posts
Shucks, I was hoping you found a plug in the block somewhere. I replaced my oil pan plug with a Fumoto valve about 20 years ago. No leakage there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts