Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

361 - 380 of 401 Posts

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
I'd hate to know what my 14,000 GVWR C&C would cost then.
Oh wait, I do know. It's $52 per month. I can live with that.

Be glad you aren’t in MI, with the highest insurance rates in the country. My insurance is cheap since I’ve never made a claim and I have a 830 credit score, and my stupid 2500 is $105. If I lived closer to Detroit with 1-2 tickets or a claim, my insurance would be 250-300 a month

·
Registered
15,775 Posts
Be glad you aren’t in MI, with the highest insurance rates in the country. My insurance is cheap since I’ve never made a claim and I have a 830 credit score, and my stupid 2500 is $105. If I lived closer to Detroit with 1-2 tickets or a claim, my insurance would be 250-300 a month
Reason number 684 not to live there.

My 2500 is $2400 a year but that’s plates and insurance.
Oh, yeah, add another $70 or whatever it was for registration. Per year.

Reactions: mattswaggs

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Ya our plates are maybe $100 a year. The rest is insurance. I don’t have a good record lol it’ll get better. But wish it was cheaper.

·
White Lightning
12,221 Posts
My 2500 is $2400 a year but that’s plates and insurance.
Is that paper plates, Correlle, or fine China or Japanese plates?

Reactions: Lins

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Ya our plates are maybe $100 a year. The rest is insurance. I don’t have a good record lol it’ll get better. But wish it was cheaper.

Our plates are dependent on sticker price. My truck is probably 280/ year.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Ya value of vehicle is used, liability coverage, deductible, wildlife and, in our province, your on a driving rating scale. Our insurance is a public utility. Compared to others, it’s better if you have a bad record, but if you have a good one, it costs more than other places.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I am glad I have read and participated in this thread and the one on SRW VS. DRW. I have learned the "new" truck I want a DRW utility bed is a no go. I can not drive it in the winter, I can not park it anywhere and the my insurance company may cancel me.

I have settled on a 3500 SRW C&C with a utility bed, Cummins/Aisin combo.
Hopefully I can insure it and will be able to drive/ park it as needed. Being a contractor it would be a good thing if I could actually stop at a customers house, park my truck and work year round.

·
Registered
15,775 Posts
Why do you think I'm trying to buy Ej's 3500 SRW?
I prefer a flatbed, and really need DRWs, but not being able to drive in the winter, or park, is a big drawback.

Maybe if the rules change I can start using my C&C DRW again.

Reactions: ironpony

·
Registered
15,775 Posts
Our plates are free (with the registration), but the sticker is an annual cost. A low one, but still.
Unless you pay for two years, in which case you get a rebate. On top of the rebate for renewing on line.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Our plates are free (with the registration), but the sticker is an annual cost. A low one, but still.
Unless you pay for two years, in which case you get a rebate. On top of the rebate for renewing on line.
Michigan plates are free unless you upgrade the plate itself. Registration for mine (commercial) is 1400/ year plus the 1700 a year on insurance. Personal plates are around 300 a year, they are based on msrp of new vehicle, no matter the age it seems like. Commercial insurance was cheaper than personal for me though by about 500 a year.

Stay far away from the "Pure BS" state.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 2500 SLT Crew Cab Short Bed
11 Posts
With the 2500 I figured bumper pull is the way to go unless there is a camper or toy hauler involved where the weight is less of an issue. For me the extra weight of a gooseneck just cuts into the load capacity for hot shotting and that kind of thing.

·
Registered
15,775 Posts
As much as I dislike bumper pulls, for a number of reasons, they do have one advantage when the tow vehicle is inadequate - then a good weight distributing hitch with anti sway can be used to help out.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
With the 2500 I figured bumper pull is the way to go unless there is a camper or toy hauler involved where the weight is less of an issue. For me the extra weight of a gooseneck just cuts into the load capacity for hot shotting and that kind of thing.
Well why buy a 2500 for hot shotting. That’s like buying a 1500. It makes no sense. Spend the extra money on a drw and that way you don’t limit yourself.

Unless you do something specific with Garunteed loads. Even then. A 3500 isn’t harder on fuel and if your running commercially the insurance over something under 10k gvwr shouldn’t matter. That is if you do it the proper legal way.

·
White Lightning
12,221 Posts
For me the extra weight of a gooseneck just cuts into the load capacity for hot shotting and that kind of thing.
Most likely one of the most hilarious posts of 2020.......

·
Registered
358 Posts
As much as I dislike bumper pulls, for a number of reasons, they do have one advantage when the tow vehicle is inadequate - then a good weight distributing hitch with anti sway can be used to help out.
I agree unless you're pulling a long bumper pull. I've pulled my 5th wheel in high cross winds and although I can feel it, it doesn't slow me down much. But if I'm towing my bumper pull with the typical weight distribution hitch and sway control (not a Hensley Arrow) and get side winds that are almost as high, I have to slow down. I have a scale and always place as much tongue as possible, with a safety factory. And, I place move as much of the heavy load to the center of rotation. But, physics still rules. If wind gusts hit the trailer and the trailer wants to rotate, it just pushes the bumper.

I guess having a DRW is an advantage even though I can't drive it in the winter, parking it is impossible and 6 tires are unaffordable. Hmmm, or is this the wrong thread to bring that up?

I did recently find out that I can drive it in the winter and tow, although when the visibility gets too low, it's better to stop. Shortly after I parked, I was surrounded. The roads weren't bad but the white fluffy things really mess up the view.

FWIW, moving out of California is a joy.

The funniest part about the move was getting our youngest Ridgeback to poop for the first time in the snow. LOL.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab, Rambox, Factory air suspension, modified by adding factory fifth wheel prep
326 Posts
Agree on crosswinds and a bumper pull. I had anti sway hitch and WDH bars and passing a semi or cross winds always moved the 32’ trailer I had. My 5er pulls much better.

I do miss the ability to throw stuff in the bed with the bumper pull but with a little more effort it all fits in the garage of the TH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zinga

·
Registered
15,775 Posts
I would imagine that your long black trailer could be a handful in side winds.
But just imagine how much better it would handle if the front axle was moved to behind the other two.
Or all three moved to the far back.

·
Registered
15,775 Posts
Agree on crosswinds and a bumper pull. I had anti sway hitch and WDH bars and passing a semi or cross winds always moved the 32’ trailer I had.
Well, that made my measly 16-foot enclosed trailers push the rear of my 2500 around, too. Especially when empty.
Which is why I went with good WD hitches and anti sway.

361 - 380 of 401 Posts